Chapter 41

As always, you readers' words are so kind <3

We're slowly getting to the climax! :3

(Emphasis on slowly)

I hope you enjoy this chapter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~No One's P.O.V.~

An hour later...

"We're back!" Lexi shouted into the log cabin of a home right after she opened the door. The trip had been a success, the handful of egg-white flowers gripped in Hornet's large hands as proof.

"Welcome back!" Dr. Diana called from the kitchen. She turned off the sink and dried her soapy hands. She glanced over to Mark, who quietly placed utensils onto the dining table. The doctor watched in amusement as he gently and meticulously placed each fork, spoon, and knife in a certain place and position. "I didn't know you knew table etiquette," she mused out loud, making Mark jolt at her abrupt words.

"O-oh, uh, yeah, I learned it from..travelling around the world, you know.." he mumbled, his voice getting softer as he continued his statement. Dr. Diana's eyebrows knitted into a frown. She sighed and shook her head.

"This family needs to be more optimistic," she grumbled as she walked towards the kitchen exit. "It's like you're all depressed or something."

"Hey!" Mark snapped. He was about to remind her of the reason he was so grim, but his vocal cords hitched at the sudden reminder. For a moment, he wondered if it was really okay to be this relaxed when God knows what happens to his little sister. By the time he opened his mouth again, though, the doctor had already left. He gritted his teeth for a second before saying, "I'm going out for a break!"

"Do whatever you want! Just finish cooking the rice!" she called back.

"Yeah yeah.." Mark mumbled under his breath as he headed towards the door in the kitchen that led outside into the woods.

~~~~~~~~~

"So, did you get it?" Dr. Dana asked as her greeting to the duo of people and Exceeds, clapping her hands together to get rid of whatever watery residue was left on her hands before actually looking up at them. Hornet inexpressibly lifted both of his hands to show the delicate white flowers resting in his palms. The dark-skinned woman eyes traveled from the palms of his hands to the man's dark blue eyes, which were still dull and empty from the little event that had happened back in the forest. She opened her mouth to ask, but then decided it wasn't worth it and instead said, "Looks like you're good for something, then." She paused and thought 'screw it.' "..I assume everything went well?"

"E-eto.." Lexi and Lector stammered in unison as sweat started to form on their fur. Sting looked down to the ground, guilt still churning in his stomach for what he did. His look of culpability did not go unnoticed by Dr. Dana, and it basically confirmed that something had happened.

"I don't have to patch anyone up do I?" she asked bluntly, half-hoping her bluntness would lighten up the grim mood.

"Oh, n-nonono, nothing happened," Lexi stammered, waving her paws. "We're all in one piece, hehe..." Lector sweatdropped at her response while Sting and Hornet avoided eye contact.

"Uh-huh..." the doctor responded slowly, clearly not amused.

"U-uh, a-a-anyways," Lector stammered, trying to change the topic. "You can make the cure for Sting now, hai?" Dr. Dana narrowed her eyes on the duo of boys, but sighed and shook her head. 'Men are idiots.'