Chapter 19 - The Duchess

I have never been busier than when the title of General was thrust upon me; everyone always needs something. General, we must coordinate with the other legions for a frontal attack; General, we must help (insert planet's name); General, we're hungry; feed us. General, you haven't slept in four days, or we're putting you in a mandated Coma. General, we're out of grenades; we must order more.

I'm grateful for my boys but stepping away for a moment could be life and death in some situations.

My thoughts are filled with questions as I zoom to the upper floors of the Senate building after being called upon. Master Cara sent the transmission that an extraordinary senator had requested my presence. The woman wouldn't tell me who, the devious creature and her surprises. This is the only way the old woman gets any fun anymore.

Anakin reassured me a thousand times that it would be alright; the boys, him and Ahsoka, could hold the fort until I returned to the Resolute.

When the doors of the elevator open, I'm greeted by two troopers with red and white armor holding their blasters in a relaxed but stiff position. Always prepared for an emergency. Sometimes, it's hard to distinguish all the clones from one another solely because of the armor, but the corps is a little different and their life force always feels a little different.

"Sergent Hound, is it?" I ask as one of them relaxes, making me look at the other." And Shocker, right?"

"Yes sir, we were instructed to escort you to the Duchess of Mandalore," Hound replies; both men are More relaxed since the elevator doors opened. I nod slightly and the men lead me through the corridor toward where the Duchess will be.

Why does the Duchess want to speak with me? We haven't spoken since the memorial for Qui-gone on Naboo almost 12 years ago. From my memory, she was a lovely lady, a Pacifist; she transformed Mandalore into a peaceful planet instead of the war-raging concrete jungle I vaguely remember.

I haven't stepped on my home planet since that day; besides the blurry, few I carry, all I've learned is from my files and stories passed on by Obi-Wan and Qui-gon. Obi-wan talked heavily of the Duchess, he called her a princess on many occasions and said being on the run through Mandalore through difficult was some of his greatest memories.

Teasing the man, I would ask how my master would feel about it and he would blush saying all he needed to say. I know the relationship my master and Master Obi-wan have. unspoken, unbreakable bond; some could even say they love each other. They will never speak it though, to speak those words would denounce what the order has taught us. What we as a culture have built around us. I know Obi-wan cares for the Duchess still though what those feelings entail no one will truly ever know.

The men lead me to a simple door, I give them a small thank you then go knock on the wooden door. I hear a small sound, a voice saying to come in, I press a button on the panel next t to the entry way and the door swooshes open. The apartment or I guess guest room, is almost identical to Padme's she has here on Coruscant, without the various decorations that the senator had accumulated over the years. 

two guards move to go stand outside the room while two stand instead the doorway, feeling through the force no alarms, no feeling of a threat my shoulders relax slightly. 

With a wave of my hand the door slides open, the room is almost identical to Padme's apartment she has here on Coruscant. This apartment is more bear with the basic furniture and decor while the senators is highly decorated and personalized. 

standing not 20 feet away is a blonde woman in her maybe early 30s maybe 35, a simple but elegant dress on, while she stares out the large west facing window, the sun a nice orange glow as it sets past the skyscrapers. 

"Duchess" I announce my presence my hands folded nicely in from of me giving her the slightest bow. 

she turns to me a smile now filing her face with lines, a happy life it seems for her, but her beauty just grows from it. "Ah Rysa oh or should I say general now". 

A small awkward smile enters my lips "Rysa is fine, you seem well." 

"As well as one can, be with the weight of a civilization on them" she sighs sitting down on the couch motioning for the armchair in front of her which I take. 

the tension entering my shoulders again, "may I ask why you have requested to see me?" her brow furrows as I continue "It's been a bit more than 10 years since master Qui 'gon has passed which I believe was the last night we spoke". 

"You have a good memory for how young you were" she says the smile faltering just slightly "I'm here on business trying to stay neutral but still having friends on both sides can be..." she doesn't finish but I nod. 

it's hard to relate but I bet it would be how I break up arguments between Anakin and Ahsoka, two rival parties that have the same goal but also the same temper. 

"I just wanted to check in with you, see how things were" she says folding her arms slightly which could mean I've suddenly made her uncomfortable but not enough to end the conversation. which is strange since she's the one that asked me here. 

"Well considering we're in the middle of a war, I would say it's going kind of rough" I cross my arms now. taking a deep breath to calm myself. this woman who was my ward till she felt it would be "safer" for me with the jedi since I had the "powers" my own people would have turned on me. Obi-wan said it a lot nicer but I got the gist of it. 

"Well, I've tried to petition that the senate make a deal with the separates, but they won't hear me out, I guess that's the problem with not being officially in the republic. 

after a moment of silence and my heartbeat now drumming, I stand "Well this has been a nice chat, but I have scheduled drill with my men". 

"Rysa wait." 

She stands faster than me, making me blink as she stands in front of me then "I never meant to shut you out, I know you wrote to me". I look down, not entirely sure how to answer to that.  

"I felt it was my duty to separate us, till after your studies were finished." 

"After my studies?" my voice says loudly making the douches take a step back as I continue the energy flooding out. 

"I don't remember my parents not really there's memories I don't quite undertsand but I remember you, you being there to support me, to love me, then you disappeared and when you finally were back you gave me away to two strange men. Now those men were the figures I needed in my life. one still is but I tried to reconnect with you" I cross my arms turning away facing the window she was maybe 20 minutes ago. 

"I can't explain everything, but I was just declared the monarch of an entire planet, I had to fix everything after the civil war" she explains getting closer. "Obi-wan kept me updated sporadically, saying how Cara picked you as a padawan, when you got your lightsaber for the first time". 

"Satine" I sigh "I'm an adult now, I understand why you wanted to fix this between us, maybe it's some guilty conscious but I'm not upset that you sent me away, this is where I was meant to be, I feel it" I face her now, the sadness in her face slowly disappearing but never completely. 

"I just wish that you had let yourself be a part of it" I tell her, she sighs but nods. 

"I was hoping you would maybe consider coming to visit Mandalore, a lot has changed since you left, maybe you could lend me those peace keeping skills" she says making me smile slightly. 

"I'll defiantly think about it". 

Authors note hey guys sorry for the short very wordy chapter but wanted to give y'all something since it's been a while. 

I wanted to continue the chapter with them going to 79s but it just felt right to end it there. love you all see you in the next chapter.