Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I've been here for 3 agonising days, and I can't wait to get discharged but Dr Heyns is hell bent on keeping me here for longer. Yesterday the stitches on my incision burst and I had to be rushed to the theatre. I have no idea of the cause or how they burst. I just woke up to soaking sheets. If it wasn't for needing the bathroom, I can only imagine when I would have discovered that they are open. I have to commend Dr Heyns; she's one hell of a doctor, but I've had enough of this place now. I've been probed, prodded, taken to countless tests and I'm tired. I just want to go home. But besides that, there's the situation with Felicia and her man. Sigh. They've been cocooning every day since I've been here and at first, I used to gush over them but now, they just irk me.

"Good morning, ladies." That's the nurse walking in.

"Hello/Hi," Felicia and I both sing in unison.

"How are we feeling this morning?" She's accompanied by another nurse who, unlike her, is shy.

The shy nurse attends the ever-so-talkative Felicia while the loud one attends to me.

"Much better, thanks," I answer, dragging myself in an upward position from the bed.

I already know what's coming, vital check.

"That's good to hear. How did you sleep?" She asks, taking my arm and placing it under hers.

She slips on the cuff of the blood pressure monitor, presses a few buttons and the machine hums.

"Not too bad. A bit of pain and discomfort here and there, but nothing serious." She nods.

"It's the dehiscence. Morphine should help with the pain," she says, placing my arm beside me.

"The what now?" I ask, turning to look at her in confusion.

"Dehiscence. It's when a wound splits or bursts open post-operation," she clarifies.

"Ooh," I say, nodding in understanding and acknowledgement to what she just said.

"Don't worry too much nana, only a few days," she says, smiling sweetly at me before she reads my pressure reading on the monitor.

"Has Dr H mentioned when she's going to discharge me?" I probe, hoping for some good news.

"Only she'll be able to tell you that," she says, smiling at me with a look that tells me all I need to know; she knows but she won't tell me.

I huff and cross my free arms across my chest. She giggles and scribbles something on my chart.

"When will she come and see me anyway?" I question, disregarding the current topic.

"She has two surgeries scheduled for this morning, so she'll most probably see you after."

"Mm," I hum taking in everything she's said.

She spends a few minutes taking note of my vitals before she informs me that breakfast is on the way before she excuses herself.

"Khanya," my beloved wardmate calls out to me just as both our nurses step out of our ward.

Yes, she knows my name now and honestly, I don't mind it.

"Yes, Fel," I say, fixating my eyes on her.

She went for scans yesterday and hasn't been her usual bubbly self since she returned.

"What do you think about children?" she asks, throwing me off.

"Uhm... I have never really given too much thought to that, maybe because I think I'm still too young to have children, but I'd love to have one or two in the future."