Chapter 23

Chapter 23

It's been almost three weeks now since the meltdown and things have simmered down. Dali has been reaffirming his love every chance he gets and to be honest, although those thoughts still pop up in my mind, seeing him show me his love has been calming and comforting. I also spoke to B about it since she's also in a relationship with an older guy, though her and Langa's age gap isn't as wide as ours is but the circumstances are similar if not the same. It's so ironic that when she told me about her relationship with Langa I had cautioned her about dating an older man yet here I am, knee deep in love with a man who's old enough to be my uncle. Ironic, right? Anyway, she helped me see just how much I love this man and how despite my fears, I wouldn't live without him - which is true. That man is my life. Anyway, I'm currently at my place. I've been back for three weeks now and honestly, it kind of feels weird being on my own without Dali. I've gotten so used to being in his presence that having to do things on my own like eat my own foot, sleep in my bed has become eerie. I know I sound clingy but who wouldn't with a man like mine?

Anyway, I haven't seen Dali this whole week because he's been having back to back surgeries so I've decided to do something nice for him. He's always the one to show up for me and show me his love, so I thought I'd do something special for him to show him how much he means to me. Of course, my pockets aren't as deep as his, so I can only hope that he'll appreciate the gesture. I've prepared lunch for us, well more for him than me. Since he's always the one preparing delicious meals for us I figured why not show him some of my culinary skills? When he dropped me off a few weeks back, he packed a food basket for me so I'm going to use the same basket to pack our lunch. It's nothing fancy, just a loaded steak salad for him and what's left over from my chicken and sausage bowtie pasta skillet bake that I made last night for me. I've thrown in some milk tart from Woolworths and some fruit salad. I wish we could wash everything down with wine but he is still at work so juice will do.

I change into a red ditsy floral ruffle trim bodycon dress that has a tie in front and tie my hair in a high sleek bun. I complete my look with a pair of white sneakers and claw earrings. Perfume is a must so I drench myself in some Lancôme; thank you my sister. I grab my sling bag that houses all my things including the basket and make my way out. I can only hope that this man is not in surgery otherwise my so-called surprise will be a bust. I see a taxi approaching just as I step out of the gate and I hail it down. I can literally feel my blood rushing through my eardrums as I hop on. I fish for my R20 note and anxiously pass it forward and wait for my stop to appear.

"Short left," I yell just after we turn into 3rd Avenue.

The driver slows down and pulls aside at the curb. I take my change, shove it inside my sling bag and hop out. The taxi drives away, leaving a cloud of dust behind. I brush the invisible dust from my dress and slowly make my way inside.

"Sisters." That would be one of the guards greeting me as I walk past him.

"Hello," I greet back in a low voice that screams 'leave me alone'.

Since I'm familiar with the hospital, it's not difficult to find the reception area.

"Good afternoon," I greet the familiar face that sits at reception.

She raises her eyes from the screen and stares up at me with a smile on her face.

"Good morning ma'am. How can I be of assistance?"

This is how the face of an organization needs to be; warm and welcoming. I look at her name tag and it's written Cindy.

"Hi Cindy. I'm looking for Dr Jaxa's office. Could you kindly direct me?"

"Of course. He's in office 212 on the second floor; left after you exit the lift," she says, pointing me to the direction of the lift.

"Thank you, Cindy," I say smiling at her before making my way to the lifts.