Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Dali's POV

She keeps shaking her head refusing to grasp the reality of what's happening.

"No. No. No. No," she wails while frantically shaking her head from side to side.

Just like her, I'm also struggling to wrap my head around what's happening right now.

"Ma'am, please. The baby's already crowning, and unless you start pushing, he or she will die."

Ma, Thando and Gugu have long excused themselves, while Aya remained since it's her room.

"Please tell her that I'm not pregnant. I'm on my period," she pleads after grabbing my arm.

The desperation in her eyes is breaking my heart and if I wasn't a man, I'd be crying just like her.

"Baby, listen to me," I say softly, placing my palm on her sweaty forehead.

"I know you're scared right now, but -"

"I'm not scared! I'm telling you and her that I'm not pregnant! Why won't you tell her?"

She's becoming frantic as she screams, bashing her fist against the gurney.

"Baby, calm down."

"Sir, we don't have much time. We need to get this baby out."

I glare at her. Surely, she can see that we're dealing with more than just a mother in labour here.

"Can we wheel her to a separate room?" I ask after gathering my bubbling rage.

"You're not taking me anywhere," she bellows, forcing her body up.

An unexpectant contraction hits her, causing her to sink her teeth into my forearm.

"Fuck!" I curse under my breath, though I don't dare remove her from me.

I'm sure her pain is worse than mine.

"Baby," I utter through gritted teeth.

"We need to get the baby out."

"But I'm not pregnant," she whimpers defeated, allowing her body to flop back on the gurney.

"I know, baby. I know, but... I need you to be strong for me, okay?"

She finally frees my forearm from the clutches of her teeth and I sigh in relief. Fuck, that hurts.

With my palm on her forehead, I place a kiss on her temple. Her breathing is heavy and raggedy.

How did we miss this? Her period's been regular, her physical appearance didn't change, so...

"Sir, we need to get going," Dr Nazarin says, already pushing the gurney out of Aya's room, this after covering her lower body with a sheet.

"Dali," Khanya calls out to me.

"I'm right here, baby. I'm right here," I assure her while clasping her hand into mine as I stroll beside her gurney.

Her hysteria is concerning because it's depleting the energy that she needs to push our baby out.

"What's going on?" Lubanzi asks just as everyone jumps to their feet as they see us approaching.

I guess their wives and ma didn't say anything; I appreciate that.

"She's in labour," I simply state, unsure how else to deliver the news.

"What?/She was pregnant?/How?" They all throw these questions at me.

"I'll explain everything later."