Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Dalindyebo

As a doctor I've been trained to remain calm in situations like these but all that training seems to have flown out that window as I watch her slip in and out of consciousness in my back seat.

"MOVE!" I scream at the idiot in front of me while pressing down on my horn.

I swerve in front of him, and zoom past him like my life depends on it; which in reality, it does. I shift my head back, with my hand stretched out and try to reach for her.

"Khanya? Baby," I call out to her while patting her arm that's dangling over the seat.

She groans in recognition of my voice although her eyes remain shut. Relief washes over me like water on a hot summer's day. I press on my accelerator as the metallic smell fills my nostrils.

"Shit!" I curse, banging on the steering wheel as I fly down Nelson Mandela Drive.

I'm not even stopping at the red lights. I park in front of the entrance when I finally pull into the hospital, which is not permitted as it's reserved for the ambulance but who gives a shit!

"Somebody help me!" I shout, as I hop off before opening the back door.

Thulani, one of our male nurses comes pushing a gurney just as I scoop Khanya who is drenched in her own blood into my arms. I gently place her on the gurney and give Thulani space.

"19 year old female with abdominal pain and excessive bleeding," I say, briefing him.

"Ma'am, can you hear me?" He asks her but she's unresponsive. Fuck!

"How long has she been out?" Thulani asks, wheeling her in, with me hot on his tail.

"She's been in and out of consciousness for the past I don't know... ten minutes," I say, jogging beside the gurney as more nurses and doctors rush to her.

"Does she have any medical history that we should be aware of?" Dr Arko-Cobbah asks.

My mind temporarily goes blank before I recall that she just had surgery.

"She just underwent a Myomectomy," I say, brushing the back of my head with my hand.

"How long ago was that?"

"I think just over a month or so," I say, brushing my hand over my face frustratedly.

He nods and follows Thulani as he wheels her into one of the emergency rooms on the floor. I stay back to give them space to work on her. Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

"Ah, Dr J. I thought you went home."

God, please. Not now. What does this woman want from me?

"There was an emergency," I say in a flat tone without even sparing my eyes in her direction.

I make my way to the reception to ask that Khanya be moved to a private ward in hopes that this one leaves me alone but my prayers are never heard when it comes to her.

"On, really? Which patient?" She asks in her annoying squeaky voice as she follows behind me.

I don't bother answering her because her entire existence annoys me to the core. I've never met a person, not let me say woman, who can't take a no or a hint like her.

"Dr J, which patient?" She persists, this time even having the audacity to grab my wrist.

I stop in my tracks and look at her hand that's on my wrist with disgust on my face.

"I-I'm sorry," she says softly while removing her chicken fingers off my wrist.

I click my tongue and leave her standing there without even sparing her any more of my time.