Chapter 40

Chapter 40

It's been a week and a few days since we went over to visit my mom. Yes, she's still around, and by the looks of things she's not leaving anytime soon. It's a wonder how my dad hasn't called to demand that she return. I guess he was serious when he said she's not to return until we're good.

"How far until the next town?" I ask turning to Dali, whose eyes are fixed on the road.

We're on our way to the Eastern Cape, ku-Gatyane for a celebratory ceremony.

"You keep asking that question every 5 minutes," he says, chuckling while shaking his head.

"I don't want my babies to become restless," I say, taking a peak at them as they sleep peacefully in the back seat.

"They won't. They're tired from missing their mid-morning nap."

The truth is, I'm anxious about what awaits me. I haven't met nor been introduced to the rest of his family members and that petrifies me. What if they don't like me?

"What's this celebratory event all about anyway?" I ask, diverting my raging thoughts.

He chuckles, "uJola is slaughtering two bulls to welcome the new auditions of the family."

"Really?" I ask, taken aback by the statement. Do you guys know how expensive a bull is?

"Yes. My mom said he did the same when Aya and I were born too," he says.

"Wow."

"Besides your family, who else will be there?" I ask, preparing myself.

"The gents and their wives."

"You mean James, Wanda, Zola and them?" I've met James and Zola but I'm yet to meet Wanda.

"Yeah, including u-Aya, Ludwe, Thando, Lubanzi -"

"They're coming?" I ask, cutting him short as I fail to hide how elated I am.

He laughs happily as he watches I excitedly clap my hands together, "They're already there."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I say excitedly, my voice slightly elevated, almost waking the twins.

"It was meant to be a surprise, but because uyaphapha." I laugh.

"I'm sorry, baby. I can still act surprised when I see them."

"Baby, you can't lie to save your life," he says, eyeing me, waiting for me to dispute.

"Whatever," I say, curling my eyes at him before attempting to yank my hand away from his, but he tightens his grip.

His voice fills the car and my ears as he laughs. Bloody fool. The rest of the journey is filled with him informing me on the different characters that I'm going to meet and I can't say I'm excited.

We reach u-Gatyane just as the sun is about to set.

"And we're here," he says, pointing to the peach painted corner house that's buzzing with people moving up and down.

"It's beautiful," I say smiling at him as I take in the serene landscape surrounding his home.

I love it when I learn something new about him. It reminds me of how unorthodox our love story is and to me that's the best part of our relationship; getting to know each other.

"Thank you, love," he says, pulling inside the large compound.

"This is a lot of people," I say as I take in the masses of people moving up and down the yard.

He chuckles, "Well, oJaxa don't do small things, sthandwa sam."

I choke at his ambiguously loaded statement. He chuckles-scoffs as heat creeps up my cheeks.