Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I don't know how long we've been on the road for but one thing has become clear: we're on our way to the Eastern Cape. I didn't ask him nor did he tell me but I've travelled this route once too many times by bus and by car to know my way home. The whole trip has been silent, well from my side though he has been accepting and making numerous calls throughout the journey some I think are from the hospital while some are from his family members. It's no brainer that this situation with his mom is stressing him out; I mean aren't we all scared of losing our parents?

We just passed the Eastern Cape provincial border entering into Aliwal North and I hope we are going to stop for refreshments.

"I need to fill up. Would you like something to eat?" He asks, pulling into the Shell garage.

His tone is calmer than earlier. I turn to face him. His eyes look hollow.

"Only if you'll have something too," I say, turning the rest of my body to face him.

He sighs and takes my hand into his and starts peppering my knuckles with kisses.

"I'm not really hungry but I could use a cup of coffee," he says softly.

I want to persuade him to have at least a sandwich because we both didn't get to finish our lunch but I don't want to be a nuisance on top of what he's got going on.

"Then coffee it is," I say, smiling faintly at him as I stare up into his beautiful orbs.

A petrol attendant comes to our aid while I jump off, grabbing my sling bag with.

"Khanya!" He shouts after me. I just know he wants me to use his card for whatever I'm going to buy but I won't die from spending a few rands on him... on us.

As I walk through the aisles, I text Buhle to let her know of my whereabouts and she calls immediately.

"What do you mean you're in Aliwal North?" Her screechy voice rings in my ear.

I narrate everything to her and wait for her response.

"That's horrible news, friend. How is he?"

"As good as he can be under the circumstances I guess. I'm just worried about the situation he'll walk into when he arrives," I confess because Ayanda didn't say much and his reaction was...

"The only thing you can do is be there for him, friend."

"I know and I'll do my best even though he scares me when he's emotional."

"Men are like that, friend. They struggle with handling their emotions so don't take anything to heart."

I nod in understanding though I know she can't see me.

"I'll call you when we arrive wherever we're going."

"Okay. Stay safe and keep me posted at all times."

"I will."

"I love you and stay strong, okay?"

"I love you too," I say before hanging up.

I feel his presence even before I see him.

"Love," his voice vibrates behind me.

The shop is not that full nor is it big so his voice booms across the walls.

"Mm," I say, turning to face him.

I'm currently waiting for his coffee and our pies which I'm yet to be served with.

"Why didn't you take my card?" He asks, placing his hand on my waist.

I can feel a few eyes on us but I try not to focus on how uneasy they're making me feel.