Chapter 9

Chapter 9

We, and I say we because this man is right behind me. I don't need to see him to know, I can feel him. His presence is that dominant. There's nothing subtle about it. I lead us to the dining area, and we find my parents, including my sister already seated as though they're waiting for us.

"Finally," Viwe says in a sassy, teasing yet also mocking tone.

"We've been waiting for you," my mother adds dramatically.

"Ma, you literally just came to tell us about lunch," I say, just as I'm about to pull my chair.

"Let me," the good doctor says, stopping me in my tracks.

I can feel the eyes around the table now on us as he pulls out a chair for me.

"Thank you," I mumble faintly beneath my breath.

A sound rumbles from his throat, setting my body slightly ablaze. Through the corner of my eye, I steal a glance at Viwe and she has this smug "ooh la la" look on her face. Nxa. I expect him to find a seat somewhere else around the table instead he takes a seat right next to me.

"Bant'abadala," he greets both my parents while settling beside me. (My elders)

I slightly tilt my head towards my father's direction to check his reaction to all of this. His face is stoic; void of any emotion though I can see he's checking this one out.

"Mkam, please pray for us," my father eventually says, when he's taken in enough of this one.

"Masithandazeni," she says, bowing her head. (Let us pray)

"Thixo..." my mom starts but the rest of her voice fades away from my ears.

I pretend to close my eyes, not that I'm a heathen or anything but I want to steal a glimpse of this man beside me and unfortunately for me I find him with his eyes already glued on me.

"Close your eyes," he mouths with his eyes still glued on me.

I quickly shut my eyes, embarrassed that I've been caught in the act.

"Amen," everyone mumbles. I didn't hear a word of mom's prayer.

Everyone grabs their plate and starts dishing whatever is in front of them. My mom went all out for lunch.

"Everything looks amazing, ma. Thank you," the beloved Dr Jaxa says.

My mom is all smiles, proud of the complement she's just received. Is this woman blushing?

"Enkosi, ndoda," she says and yes, her cheeks are definitely glazed with a rosy hue. (Thank you)

Viwe giggles softly as we both watch my dad observe mama blush over a stranger's compliment.

"So..." my dad says, breaking the awkward silence while slicing through the piece of turkey.

Everyone's focus is on the meal in front of them, so we all have no idea whom he's speaking to.

"You're here to finish my food?" Dad asks, speaking with food in his mouth, his tone light.

Ma sucks her teeth and glares at my dad who is not even giving her any attention. A light rumble emanates from the doctor's chest. God, what a glorious sound. I could listen to it all day.

"There's no way I would've let this opportunity pass me by. I haven't had a home cooked meal in a while," he says, shoving a fork in between his luscious lips while my dad chuckles.

I gulp dryly. How I wish I was that for... Focus, Khanya. Focus.

"You can't cook?" Viwe asks, entertaining the banter.