Chapter 14

Chapter 14

It's been a week of absolute bliss with my parents. As usual, I was spoiled and pampered like the baby that I am and unlike the time they spent helping me with my recovery, this week was light and joyous; not as emotionally and physically draining as that period was. My dad slaughtered a sheep for me, as a welcome home tradition that he always does for my sister and I each time we go home for the holidays. Besides the week I spent with my parents, it's also been a week of me texting back and forth with the good doctor. Yep, you heard me. After the whole 'you don't have my number' remark, Dali took it upon himself to save his numbers on my phone, saving them as myen'wam. Just imagine! I could've just deleted his numbers after he saved them on my phone, but since that man is slick, he dialled himself just to make sure that he also had mine. So, here I am texting this man letting him know that I've landed. He's been coercing me the entire week to not let him down and attend the housewarming with him. Every morning I'd wake up to his texts and he'd call at once during the day to 'hear my voice' and update me on his day, not that I asked but yeah... Throughout our communication I got the sense that he was more thrilled about seeing me than he was about this whole housewarming thing but then again, I could just be blowing my own horn. We disembark the flight and beeline towards baggage claim. I can feel my heart throb in my throat with every step I take. I need to tell someone about my whereabouts and Viwe is not an option since she'll say, 'I told you so' and honestly, I don't want to hear any of that right now.

My phone vibrates in my hand; it's a text from him telling me that he's waiting for me out front. My anxiety piques even more so I decide to dial Buhle's number.

"B," I say just as she picks up.

"Hi, friend. Have you landed?" She asks with great excitement.

"No, I -" I try to respond but she cuts through my words.

"What do you mean 'no'? Are you delayed?" She asks in a dialled down tone.

"Friend, I'm not delayed. I'm in Joburg," I whisper the last part of my sentence.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" She pardons. Eish!

"I said I'm in Joburg," I repeat a little bit louder and clearer.

"Oh, to see Viwe?" Eish, this one is making it harder for me to explain.

"No."

"What do you mean no?" Her voice always goes up a few octaves when she's drunk or confused.

"I mean I'm with Dali," I whisper, a bit hesitant as I'm not sure what her reaction will be.

"Oh, you're with the doctor," she says, dragging the word doctor.

"It's not like that. He asked me to -" she doesn't give me a chance to finish my sentence.

"It's fine, you don't have to explain yourself to me. Just enjoy his dick and -"

"I'm not sleeping with him!" I exclaim.

"No, friend, it's okay. It's been a minute since you got laid so utilise what's in front of you."

"Buhle -"

"There's no need to be ashamed about it. He's got a dick, and you have a vagina, so why not?"

"Buhle, man!" I snap at her but instead of being reprimandable, she just bursts into laughter.

"You really need to get laid. Just look at how snappy you are," she says in between her tittering.

"You're so annoying," I say as I grab my suitcase from the conveyor belt.

"Yeah, yeah. Anyway, where will you two be staying?" She asks. I heave a sigh.