Chapter 41

Chapter 41

My eyes roam between the trio, this man who has his hand on my lap, a smile spread on his face.

"Mama? Tata? What are you guys doing here?"

The question comes out in a soft whisper that's drenched in shock.

"Your husband invited us," Tata says, arching his brow towards Dali's direction.

I turn my head to look at this man whose lap I'm still sitting on, knitting my brows together.

"I thought it would be nice to have both our parents present for our children's welcoming."

One of the many traits that I love about my husband is how loving he is. Yes, things between my mother and I are still not where they used to be, but at least we're in a better place.

"Okay, but I don't see Ludwe's parents here," I rebuttal, causing him to chuckle.

I don't even know if Ludwe has parents or not but I'm just trying to make a point.

"That's because they're still on their way," he says matter-of-factly.

His response is enough to shut me up. It takes me a few seconds to gather myself before I get up from Dali's lap

"Uhm, let me lead you inside," I say, trotting ahead of them.

I'm not even sure where ma is or if our parents are supposed to 'meet' before I'm introduced to the family officially, but maybe the Jaxa's aren't so traditional hence Dali invited them.

"Bakhozi bam," Dali's mom exclaims excitedly as soon as we step inside the lounge.

This is all the confirmation I needed to know that she's also aware of her son's invitation.

"Bakhozi," my parents both sing, exchanging pleasantries with the rest of the adults in the room.

I grab Viwe by her wrist and drag her to the kitchen.

"Where are you taking me?" She whispers as she lightly jogs beside me.

"Skwi," Aya's piercing high voice screeches, welcoming us.

Last I checked she was outside with everyone else, so my surprise is warranted.

"You hang around Thando and Gugu too much," I say, freeing Viwe's wrist from my hand.

She releases that melodic laugh that brings a smile to anyone's face.

"It's so good to see you, Vee." I wonder when she came up with that nickname; u-Ayanda mara.

"Likewise," my sister says, sounding rather formal and curt though her voice eludes shyness.

My sister has no shy bone in her, so I'm slightly taken aback by her apparent meekness.

"When did you get here? Have you eaten? The others are still outside but -"

"Ayanda." That would be my husband, interjecting her rambling.

"Sbari," he acknowledges her presence, passing her to place a glass on top of the counter.

Viwe shyly nods her head with a faint smile on her face. I wonder where that fire she had when I gave birth? My husband walks back to me and stands beside me, placing his hand on the small of my back.

"Have you been offered anything to eat and drink?"

"That's what I was trying to do before you interrupted me," Aya says sassily to her brother.

I can see my husband fight the urge to curl his eyeballs at her. I giggle softly beside him.

"Vee," Thando greets chirpily as she also emerges, Gugu hot on her tail, both with cups in hand.