Chapter 27

Chapter 27

A few months later

We're in the middle of winter and things have been hectic. My first year went well. I passed all my modules with distinctions which is expected since I'm an A student. I'm now in my second year and nothing could've prepared me for it. The amount of lectures, assignments and tutorials that we have is mind boggling. It's like first year all over again, but this time with a significantly substantial amount of workload. Besides school, the family is good and so are Dali and I. I spent a few days in December with him, with the help of my sister of course. She was thrilled to learn about our relationship, but that excitement was soon dampened by the discovery of our age gap. I thought she'd make me break up with him but she just advised me on how to deal with being in a relationship with an older partner and the societal scrutiny that we will face. Her advice made me realise that our relationship is yet to be tested, and I need to be strong and prepared for that.

I'm at Loch Logan shopping for something to wear for Aya's baby shower tomorrow. Her man is throwing a surprise baby shower for her and his bambino's. Yes, she's expecting multiples. Their genders are still a mystery since the parents wanted to find out at birth. There is no theme for the baby shower, so I get a nude long sleeve v-neck knitted belt midi dress that is backless and has a thigh high slit which I'll pair with my white dunks. After paying for my dress, I head for Country Road to go buy two nappy bags. These are from me, not us. Dali, being the uncle that he is, went overboard and bought two hand woven elephant grass bassinets for his nieces or nephews which cost him R4500... each. I don't have that kind of money, so these two gifts will have to do. Dali is currently in surgery, so he asked me to get our things ready as we're leaving this afternoon and time is not really on our side. I rush to my place to grab a few of my things that I'll need and use during the weekend and drive straight to his place. Yes, I'm driving one of his cars.

I get to his place and start packing immediately. He said he should be done by two and the time now is just after one, so I have to hurry because my man is not the most patient of beings. I hear my phone chime on top of the pedestal and I quickly grab it. It's Thando. I dial her.

"Queen," she greets in her ever-so-bubbly voice.

I giggle. This is how she's been calling me and I guess it comes from her calling Dali King.

"Mrs Tshele, how are you?" I greet, balancing the phone with my shoulder against my ear.

"I'm good, tired but good," she says, sounding slightly exhausted.

"Olo tiring you out?" I ask giggling as I think of her chubby legs and cheeks.

"I wish it was her. Banzi has been on top of me sin -"

"Ah, too much information, please," I shout and she starts laughing.

"What is it with you guys and sex?"

"Don't pretend like King doesn't sex you till your legs go numb," she retorts. Oh, yes he does.

"That's not the point. Why did you call me?" I ask, deflecting the topic. She laughs.

"It's fine. I'll let it go for now, but when you guys get here..."

"Thando, man."

"Fine. I wanted to confirm that you packed the gifts from her mom?"

"Yes, they're already in the boot."

Her mom can't make it to her baby shower as she has a doctor's appointment, but she'll be flying up to Joburg on Sunday to help her with the babies. She's scheduled for a c-section on Tuesday.

"Good. What time are you guys leaving?"

"I'm not sure. Dali's in surgery but should be home soon. We'll leave as soon as he arrives."