Chapter 25:Amplification

WISTERIA

The Shadow Mist is a swath of unnatural darkness where monsters resides. Just like what Larisa warned me before, it requires a miracle or two to destroy the Mist. It has only been two months when they found the 'hope' for this kingdom - me. But in order for me to destroy this nation's abomination, I needed to master my full potential. This, requires time and rigorous training.

But what if there's something that can amplify one's power instantly? In what expense it must be paid for?

__

Nearly everyone in the palace are experiencing what I call the 'fete fever'. The talk about the upcoming fete was the only thing I hear everywhere I go. There was a palpable excitement in the air that seemed to be contagious. I guess this event is really important for the Magic Wielders. The people who are tasked for the demonstration could be seen practicing everyday tirelessly.

The event is only two days away, and everyone are obviously anticipating for it. However, I don't share the same excitement as everyone else. The day for the annual fete is the day I will be known not as an Specialist nor a healer of the west regiment, but the Holder of Order Magic. I spent nearly two months and three weeks harnessing my power, and as far as I know, I'm not even near mastering its full potential. It's true that I can summon the light and has control over it, and it might be true that I can tear down Larisa's shadow illusions, but it's not enough to destroy the Mist. It's powerful but not enough.

I sat in silence inside the General's study, fidgeting with my hands. Ivan, the right hand man of the General, was standing next to the door like a guard. I wasn't told why I'm needed here, but I assumed it's about the fete. The General isn't here yet because I heard he was summoned at the Grand Palace.

When I heard the door open, I whipped my head towards it and saw Larisa enter.

"Where's Darkus?" she asked Ivan, sternly.

Darkus. I nearly forgot whom that name belongs to. No one except Larisa calls the General by his first name.

"The General will be here in a moment." said Ivan plainly. Larisa strode away from him and sat at the chair next to where I'm seated.

"Did you do something, girl?" she snapped at me.

"Nothing that I'm aware of." I said.

Larisa leaned her back at the cushion, looking impatient. But the General didn't keep us waiting for long. The moment the door opened the second time, a black-suited man entered.

"About time." said Larisa, impatiently.

"I apologize for keeping you waiting. I just had a word with the king." he had said. Ivan helped him to take his cloak off.

He strode to our direction and sat at the single sofa in front of us.

"What do you need from us, boy? At least, from me?" Larisa asked sternly.

Ivan came to serve us tea, and disappeared in the back right after. Is he a personal assistant-type of guy now?

"Like I said, I just had a word with His Highness. He asked me how the Light Summoner is doing, and I told him I'd ask the teacher for that." the General began, crossing his legs in manly way. He looked as though he's a consultant and we are his clients.

"Why don't you ask her yourself? Do you think low of her judgement?" Larisa snapped in her bossy and intimidating tone.

The General, on the other hand, looked serene and unbothered.

"It is just right to consult the teacher first, don't you think?"

Larisa scowled at him but told him her views afterwards.