Chapter 29:Attack and Terror

WISTERIA

THE demonstration of my power ended three days ago, but the aftermath didn't end there. The news about the Holder of Order Magic spread across the nation like an epidemic. As of now, the myth has been proven to be true. And right now, every witch hunters are after me.

Everyone are now back to their usual routines and work. Those who are stationed outside the capital left right after the first day of the fete. Even Ethel left early.

I thought it would be a relief that the fete has ended, but the things I had to think about just pile up one after another. But the good thing is, I am now allowed to visit places outside the palace. It would be a great opportunity to look for Alphonse. By now, he must have been planning their journey across the border. He's planning to go home - without me.

"I can't tell whether you're motivated or something triggers your impulses." Larisa remarked when I break her bubble - another technique of hers.

"I guess there is." I said breathlessly. I tried to control my breathing before I went on. "What do you think of amplifiers?"

A grim expression crosses her face, just like how she react when the General brought up the same subject.

"A crime to nature." she replied icily. "Are you being influenced by the General's obsession with those creatures now?" she snapped.

"I wouldn't say I like the sound of living a life of guilt for taking an innocent life." I stated wisely. "However, have you given it a thought that amplifying my power can make me destroy the Mist as soon as possible?"

Larisa's expression darkened. She gave me a you-don't-know-what-you're talking-about look. She took her usual place by the fire and stirred the contents on her mug, still looking grim. I was about to take back what I said to lift up the atmosphere when she spoke.

"I've heard a tale of a man who allegedly took one of these creature's life and was bestowed with an immense power." Larisa begun in a low, dramatic voice. She sound as though she's telling a horrific story. "It was said that in exchange for his power, he lost his humanity."

I flinched. Is that what a cursed life would feel? You have the power you've been wanting, yet you don't feel any humanity. Would that make you an evil? A lost cause? It sounded horrible, even for me.

"A mere tale as it sounds, a single amplifier can cost you dearly. So don't even think about it."

Larisa dismissed me earlier than usual. She seemed pissed with me, and I couldn't blame her.

For a moment, I thought there could be a faster way to fulfill my responsibility. But I know to myself that everything comes with a price. And that's what Larisa's trying to tell me.

I wasn't entirely disappointed about this whole amplifier thing. I just given it a thought whether I should just find an amplifier to destroy the Mist or work the long and hard path. Either way, it is all up to me.

***

I have a free time in the afternoon so I decided to take a stroll in the plaza. After nearly three months of my stay within the high walls of Kingshill Palace, I've got to explore Redlevard.

I had to inform the General about it, so I went to his study.

"Stroll at the plaza?" the General repeated.

He's behind a pile of paperwork, which nearly covered the whole desk. He seemed hesitant about the idea.

"It won't be long," I assured him. "I'll ask Zenya to accompany me if that's put you at peace."