Chapter 34: Captive

WISTERIA

I lost track of time on my way to the address written on the bloody paper. I know the exact address of where to go, but the problem is, I don't know which way to go. It's not because of my bad sense of direction but the lack of familiarity with the place. The only place I've been was at the plaza. Apart from that, everything is foreign to me.

Despite of wearing my navy robe out in public which makes me more recognizable, I seek for directions from people I meet on the way. I met a woman with her child somewhere in the capital who seemed to recognize me.

"Excuse me, do you know where Mariglen is?" I asked the mother, her child stared at me intently.

She told me the directions of where to go.

"You look familiar..." she added, squinting her eyes as though remembering who I was. But before she could process her thought, I thanked her and left.

I didn't look back and went on. The moment I saw the sign which reads 'Mariglen', I felt a relief. But it didn't last long. My instant relief was replaced by instant fear. Mariglen appeared to be the outskirts of Redlevard. The place wasn't as grand as the plaza. There's not much of a crowd, and no one seemed to care about my presence. Some throw me a curious-sort of look and most of them paid me no attention. Not that I want to.

I descended from my horse and decided to walk from here. To avoid drawing attention, I took my robe off and hung it in my arm.

I told myself to act normal, like a stranger passing by. I drew a breath every now and then, feeling wary about the place. This could be a perfect place to abduct someone like me. But like I said, no turning back.

I roam my eyes around the corner, observing everyone's movements. No one seemed suspicious - for now, at least.

Act normal.

Act normal.

Act...

"Wisteria?"

My heart leaped at the sight of a familiar face. I feel like I'm going to cry, seeing him all right. My feet sprang into an action and run towards Alphonse who came out from an alley. My immediate action is to wrap my arms around him to make sure it was the real him. A tear trickled down my cheek of how grateful I am for seeing him alive.

"Oh thank god you're fine!" I exclaimed, tearfully. "You made me worried."

He shot me a puzzled look when I withdrew myself from him.

"What?" He said, his forehead creased.

"I thought you were abducted...and killed." I began, wiping the tears from my cheeks.

"What?" He asked again, looking completely baffled. "Weren't you the one who wrote to me?"

It was my turn to give a puzzled look.

"What do you mean?" I raise an eyebrow.

"I received a letter this morning saying you need my help." He extracted a paper from his coat and handed it to me. I unfolded it and read what's inside. It was indeed asking for help, and with my name signed on it. This puzzled me even more.

"I had second thoughts about it at first... I merely thought I'd check." said Alphonse, not meeting my eyes.

I don't understand. Someone is clearly behind this. Their intent? I don't know.

"Look," Al had begun. "You should go back."

I look at him. "What, why? Are you shunning me away, again?"