Chapter 30:What Lies Beneath the Surface

THERE are only two things he'd give up everything to protect: This country and the country's hope. General Valinor is a man not to be messed with. People often see him as a person with a frozen heart, but he'd burn the world just to protect those he cared about.

It's only been an hour or so when Wisteria Sovetsky left his study, but he felt as though she's been taking so long for her stroll. Letting her go to the plaza seemed a terrible idea, but the General couldn't seem to reject her request. He tried to focus on the pile of work in front of him, but his mind stray somewhere else.

"For the love of..." he sighed in frustration and finally put his quill down. He couldn't work. All he could think was to follow the Summoner to make sure she's safe.

He tried to convince himself that the woman is more than capable of handling herself, and she had a company. But it didn't help him to subside his distress. 'If something happens to her...' the mere thought kills him. He couldn't be at peace knowing that there's a possibility that Wisteria might get attacked or assassinated. It would be the end of him if something really bad happens to her.

He leaned his back at the cushion of his chair and pressed his eyes shut. The darkness swallowed him. He tried to relax and ease his mind. But even with eyes closed, he could still picture out the image of the woman. She was different among the women he met in his entire life. When all hope seems lost, she brings a new hope and lightened the dark path. With her, everything seems possible.

The longer he thinks of her, the more he crave. He crave for her attention, the warmth of her skin, and her touch. He wants her; And wanting makes you weak.

The General shrugged those sinful thoughts he had over the woman and went to get himself a glass of rum. She'll be the death of him one of these days.

He pace across his study and studied the terrestrial model of the country where he pinned certain locations. This somehow occupied his mind.

The pinned locations are the ones where Aldanors have access to get into the east. He already sent his army in these locations but the Aldanors could still find a way to invade the region. The only explanation to this is that their enemies are getting help from people who only cared about getting their pockets full. Mindless fools.

Dusk has fallen over the palace. Wisteria should be back by now, he thought. The General sent Ivan, his right hand man, to check for the Summoner's whereabouts. Not long after that, he heard a series of knock.

"Come in." he called.

Ivan entered. He strode across the General's desk and cleared his throat rather loudly.

"I think you want to visit the infirmary, sir." said his trusted man.

It was a short sentence yet it had a powerful impact. Fear washed all over him, but the General tried to keep his cool.

'Tell me it's not what I'm thinking' he thought desperately as he headed to the infirmary in a quick pace. His coat billowed after him.

The General didn't know what to expect as he didn't extract the whole context from Ivan. The infirmary is not a place to look forward to. It's a place where the injured is tended. And why of all places is he being summon there? It could only mean one thing - someone is injured.

He threw the door open the moment he arrived at the infirmary and entered unannounced. The General roamed his eyes around the place, the workers stop to stare. Eventually, his eyes caught something. Sat on one of the white bed is a woman, her back exposed. Few Healers were attending to her, particularly her arm. The General marched toward the woman's direction, a mixed of anger and dread surging through him. Anger to himself, and dread for the woman.