Chapter 27:Summoner's Demonstration

WISTERIA

DAYS AT THE PALACE seemed to pass before my eyes. There's a feeling of burden and heaviness in my shoulder the moment I woke up. I tried to remember what day today is. My eyes caught the dress in front of my cabinet, and the realization hit me.

The fete. How could I forgot? My stomach squirmed with the thought of it. I couldn't even tell whether I feel excited or terrified. I had to fight the urge to go back to sleep and drag myself to the bathroom. It won't be long until Zenya would come banging at my door to know if I'm up already.

I bathe myself with warm water and used the floral-scented soap they had given me. It was a quick bath, if it weren't for the banging in my door.

"Coming!" I called while wrapping myself with a towel.

I went to open the door and few people entered, including Zenya.

"Great, you are ready." she had said. She was with few palace servants. "Nina couldn't come to get you fix, so I called few talented servants to help you."

"I don't need fixing." I told her humorously.

I went to wear my bathrobe so we could begin.

"Will everyone be there?" I asked Zenya through my reflection in the mirror.

"No, not everyone. There are few who don't like parties. Florian for one." she replied with a hint of disappointment. "But I'll go visit him later, to show what he'll miss out."

I grinned. I still wonder how could a woman of her caliber would be attracted to someone so shy and quiet. Is it true that opposite attracts?

Two women worked on styling my hair. They put it in a messy-like bun with few hair strands in front. They put a hair accessory in it with real gems and stones. Zenya said it's from the Queen's collection. One servant now begun putting make-up over my face. Zenya instructed her to make it natural.

"How about you?" I asked. "Aren't you going to prepare, as well?"

"Later. The General told me to supervise your preparation. After all, you'll be the one on the spotlight for this year's event." she replied thoughtfully.

I said nothing.

I went to wear my dress for the fete when they are done with my hair. One servant help me to tie the lace of the corset, which felt suffocating. When the dress was on me, I tried to move my arms to see if I can perform with such tight dress.

"How is it?" Zenya asked enthusiastically, her eyes sparkling with awe.

"Bearable."

"Fantastic! You can meet with the General down the hall, he'd like a word."

With that, Zenya dismissed the palace servants. I thanked them before they departed. I stood in front of the mirror and stared at my reflection. I could barely recognize myself.

I had to withdraw from the mirror and left promptly. I lift my skirt while descending at the flight of stairs to avoid stepping into them. Before I could reach the first floor, I had a glimpse of the other Magic Wielders fully dressed. The General was among them.

Like his usual self, he was dressed in all black. He's not wearing his coat today but a floor-length fur cloak. Looking at him made me thought of something. Does he really incorporate the color of his clothes with his magic? Or is he color blind?

The heels of my shoes made a loud noise while walking into the tiled staircase which drew attention to me, including the General who seemed engage with a conversation with Ivan.