Chapter 28: Wisteria's Woe

WISTERIA

THERE was a battle inside my mind whether I should go after the man or not. It will be rude of me to leave the people in the hall just to follow someone for a mere feeling. However, the urge to sneak out was way stronger.

"Wisteria, there's someone who want to meet you." said a fellow Summoner, but I'm still looking at the door where the guy disappeared to.

"Just a moment." I had said and made up my mind.

I strode towards the exit but was blocked by few people.

"Where are you going?" Ivan asked.

"Bathroom." I lied and tried to get past them. But it seemed like they were told to look after me.

"We'll go with you."

"No!" I refused impatiently. "I can handle myself, thanks."

I walk on quick pace to catch up with the guy. At this moment, I no longer cared if it is safe to be out here. I need to know whether it was Alphonse or just some random guy who look like him at first glance.

I'll just think of an excuse for my sudden disappearance at the party.

I didn't know which way to go or where the guy went to. I just headed straight at the corridor which led outside. The moment I left the palace, I immediately look around. I tried to remember what he looked like. He was definitely wearing a hat and some sort of a coat, but I didn't know what color it was.

People are walking around the courtyard so I avoided it and headed at the back of the palace where most of the coaches were parked.

A small hope ignited when I saw someone standing next to a coach. He was dressed as a palace guard. I carefully approach him, not knowing what to expect.

"Er - excuse me?" I spoke carefully. He turn around, and in my dismay, it wasn't the person I'm looking for.

"Oh sorry, I thought you are somebody I know."

The guard asked if I'm lost but I already got away. I tried to search again.

The palace is a big place and I don't even know where to look at. Is he still inside or perhaps he already left?

At this moment, the General must have been informed that I left out of a sudden and they might be looking for me right now. Should I abandon this pointless search and go back inside?

When I slowly admit that it must have been my poor eyesight, I heard something wooden being dragged on the ground coming from somewhere not so far. Out of curiosity, I followed the sound.

I emerged at an empty lot next to the towering walls surrounding the palace, and found two people there - a man and a woman. They were having an inaudible conversation. The woman suddenly jumped into the wall and disappeared behind it. An acrobat? If I remember clearly, Alphonse had an acrobatic woman on his crew.

My eyes withdraw from the wall and gaze at the man. He didn't look like the person I saw, however, the way he dressed and his posture looks familiar. I gaze down at the wooden cane he's holding, it has a bird-shaped head like Alphonse's.

I didn't want to get my hopes high, as I might just face a cruel disappointment. I inhaled deeply and approach with careful steps.

Loads of thoughts flooded my mind. What if it turns out that Al's here? How will I react? How will he react? What should I say? How would I explain everything to him?

The man took something round from his pocket and look at it. I was few feet away from him when I nearly tripped into the hem of my dress.

"For the love of..." I muttered to myself and grabbed both sides of my skirt.