Chapter 20:Aariv the Advisor

WISTERIA

ERITREA is an island by the ocean and was considered as a treasure island for its hidden beauty. It was a good place - great rather. But even the most beautiful places had an hideous past.

I sat by the window inside the General's study while staring at the tree outside. I watch as the leaves fall from the branches as the season changes rather quickly.

I was summoned by the General for some unknown reason. But he wasn't here when I arrived so I decided to wait for him. I felt rather down today as though the happiness in me has been sucked. Well, who wouldn't? I just heard about what happened to Zenya's unit. Yelena, the Healer, was abducted and no one seemed be able to talk to Zenya about it, because from what I heard she's isolating herself. Some told me that she's taking the blame for what happened to Yelena. I would feel the same if it was me. It's survivor's guilt.

I heard the door swung open.

"Miss Sovetsky," called the General as he enter and saw me. "have you been waiting?"

"Not for long." I replied.

He had taken his black robes off and hung it by the coat stand. I heaved myself from the couch and walk towards his desk as he sat behind it.

"Please, take a seat." he gestured at the chair across his desk.

"I called you here to talk about the upcoming fete." the General had begun. Even though Zenya already told me about it, I kept quiet. "Traditionally, the Grand Palace held this party called Eritrea's Annual Fete to gather the important figures of the country and guests from different nations. The fete's sole purpose were to build and strengthen the relationship of the country to its allied nations and introduce magic to them, openly."

"There, we are expected a demonstration of our powers. I believed this is the perfect time to introduce you to the public, so I may obliged you to attend the fete and show everyone that the holder of Order Magic is real. I hope this is not too much to ask from you, Miss Sovetsky." the General pressed on.

I shrugged.

"Alright, then. I'm going." I stated dully.

But he doesn't looked convinced. He shot me a meaningful look.

"Are you worried?" he asked.

"No," I said truthfully. "I just don't think that this event is really necessary after what happened."

His expression remain still but for all I know, he knew what I meant by it.

"So, you've heard." he muttered mildly. "I'm not surprised. I tried to keep it quiet so it won't cause any widespread panic, but I guess it cannot be helped when it's our lives at stake."

"And yet we are to join a party and pretend everything is okay." I muttered grimly. I know the General heard me because I heard him sigh. I know I don't have any position to protest but I think it's just a waste of time.

The General appeared to be sympathetic.

"My thoughts, exactly." he sympathized. "But I regret to tell you that the decision is not mine to control. It's the courts."

Nobles and their priorities!

When I left the General's study, I walk across the courtyard with my mind in haze. I didn't realized where my feet was taking me until I stopped dead to my tracks when I saw Zenya. She was talking with a group of Magic Wielders near the iron gates. When the people she was talking to clambered onto the horse-drawn coach, Zenya stood there and watch the coach as it leave. She lingered for a moment until she decided to return to the palace. She didn't noticed my presence as she walk with her head hung low. She looked pale and disoriented.