Chapter 2:The Gallow

RAVNDAL, the capital city of Asmaria is a canvas of white, grey and brown, cobbled streets dense with fog and coalsmoke, ships of every kind in the harbor, pulsing with the rush and bustle of trade.The capital is a popular place for gambling and a home for multiple criminal organization.

Sitting by the liquor counter of the Drunken Crow pub, his cane and coat rested next to him, Alphonse was on his sixth glass of rum when a guy took a seat next him. The guy was tall, skinny and dark-skinned. He was wearing a brown overcoat with multiple pockets in it, hidden with daggers and revolver. This man was Wendale Limonova.

"You're looking for me, boss?" Wendale said in undertone.

"Have you heard from her yet?" asked Alphonse.

Wendale took a glass of untouched rum from the counter, raise it next to his lips before he answered.

"Nope," said Wendale and took a great gulp from his glass of rum. He smacked his lips and continued. "Anything new?"

"Indeed, I have. But I need you to find Zhoya, we'll be needing her."

Without uttering another word, Wendale set off. Alphonse quickly roamed his eyes across the pub. It's past midnight but the gamblers didn't seem to notice. They were too occupied spending every bit of their qirsh. As Alphonse grabbed his stuff, he noticed a man sitting by the window counting his money in east Eritrean way. This man is from the east, he thought.

He withdrew his eyes from the man and clambered at the wooden staircase which landed him at the top floor. The floor was deserted and dim. Alphonse headed at the black door with brass handle at the end of the hall. The pub is not only a place for selling liquor, it is also a headquarters of a prominent gang - The Gallow. Led by the criminal prodigy, Alphonse Mordova, there's nothing they wouldn't do - no sin they wouldn't commit for the right price.

Alphonse entered his office, it was looking exactly how he had left it: Paperwork, bottle of rum and deck of card littered in his ebony table. There was miniature model of ships at the corner of the room, a huge oil painting of the Mist hung by the wallpaper-covered wall, and his collection of guns were organized inside a cabinet.

The warm summer air swept past Alphonse's face. He jerked his head towards the window. He was sure he closed it before he left early that day.

"You can come out now." he mumbled as he felt a familiar presence.

It look as though Alphonse was talking to the air until a figure of a girl stepped out of the shadow. Dark-haired, light-skinned, and black as coal eyes came into view. This girl was Zhoya Tushenka.

"You really mastered the ability of concealing yourself in the dark huh?" Alphonse pointed out idly.

Not long after Zhoya came in, the door swung open and revealed Wendale. Both are Alphonse's crew.

"Dale told me you've got something for us." Zhoya began.

Alphonse walked towards his desk and sat behind it.

"It's about Gabinski, he offered me a job."

"Dimitri Gabinski?" Wendale frowned. "The smuggler?"

"Yes."

"And what does he want?" Zhoya asked curiously.

"He's got a big shipment and he needed a special transport." Alphonse began. "He offered me a million qirsh for it. But he's only willing to pay me an advance once we secured the transport for him."

"And the catch?" said Wendale, lifting his eyebrow.

Alphonse looked at his crew intently. "Novicoff is also after the job... And it requires crossing the border."