Chapter 16:Fallen Dreams and Restored Hope

WISTERIA

TRAINING was never been this difficult after my first lesson with Larisa. Mr. Kuznetsov is still as strict as ever and Larisa has been cold towards me. But I found the comfort while writing to Al, even though I couldn't send it to him. But one day, I saw a glimpse of hope to reach out to Alphonse when I heard that a unit of army would sail across the border to get supplies from Asmaria. And one of the Magic Wielder who's going to cross was Kostya. He was stationed in the town next to the Mist. When I heard he's going, I didn't think twice to ask him to deliver a letter to Al.

"Well, fine by me." Kostya agreed almost instantly.

I run to my room and grabbed a clean piece of parchment, a quill and an ink. I began scribbling down words and after a few attempt on writing the perfect letter, I end up with this:

Dear Al,

Weeks gone and I haven't heard a word from you or anyone from Asmaria.

I'm slowly losing hope that we're able to see each other again knowing the circumstances I'm in. I'm not even sure if you knew that I was gone.

But the saints are good to me, they answered my prayers. Tomorrow, a unit of Specialists and Magic Wielders will sail across the Mist to get some supplies from Ravndal. I tried to talk to them to try and get this letter to you.

If you ever receive this letter, I would like you to know that I'm at Kestramore and I'm okay. I cannot explain over the letter why I was taken here but I shall tell you everything once we meet. I don't know when and I don't know how, I'll rest my hopes to the saints.

Know that you're always in my prayers. I hope to see you soon.

With love,
Wisteria

It's been two days since I entrusted my letter to my fellow Summoner. I didn't know how long they are going to be back but each day I was hoping - praying - that they will be back with Alphonse's reply. I grew more anxious each day that anxious thoughts gets the best of me.

When I wake up the next day, I almost flew from the flight of stairs when I heard that the unit of Eritrean Army who went to Ravndal are back. My robes billowed after me as I run across the palace.

"Wisteria where--"

I didn't hear what Zenya asked me as I ran past her.

"Later!"

I run to the courtyard and towards the iron gates where I could see a coming carriage. My stomach squirmed with anticipation. I fidgeted with my nails as the carriage enter the premises.

My chest was pounding furiously as though my heart would jump out of my ribcage. I swallowed hard as Kostya disembarked from the carriage. He gave me a small smile when he saw me.

As he approached my direction, I silently prayed for a positive outcome.

"Hey." he greeted casually.

"Hi!" I greeted him back with an intentional high-pitched tone. I felt incredibly nervous but I tried to act normal.

"How's...your trip?" I began without sounding too keen to hear what he's going to tell me.

"Oh, it went well. We've come across valkras but we survived." he said.

"And what about the um...letter?"

"Oh about that..." he placed a finger over his mouth, he looked as though he's carefully constructing the sentence he's going to tell me. "I went into the pub you told me about, the Drunken Crow pub, and I've talked with the person in-charge."