Chapter 22:Circus Performers

WHAT happened at the Doom Hall earned the Gallow the longest time hiding. Security has been tightened lately and they don't want to cause another trouble just after causing a ruckus at a prison. Despite their effort to avoid trouble, it seems like trouble was the one finding them.

In one gloomy day, when the sky was painted gray, Zhoya arrived with a news. An alarming one.

"We've got a problem." she begun upon landing on her feet inside their room. She cleared up the coffee table and spread three posters across it.

Few horrified gasps filled the very room as the posters bare their faces that only resemble their real faces about half. Either the illustrator did a terrible job or the one who described them did. Below their faces, a word written in red ink reads 'WANTED'.

"I'm not here." said Zeka, relieved.

"Why does the shape of my nose looks like I've been punched twice, and my ears looks elf-like." Wendale commented, unconcerned. Zhoya cast him an stern look.

"It's all over the city." Zhoya continued severely. "I thought we've been careful enough, but I guess we let our guards down."

"Do you think it was Gabinski who told about us?" Wendale asked the group.

"There's no way he'll survive an explosion." said Zhoya. However, she sees possibility in it. "Or...he might."

"It could be...or could be not." came Alphonse's voice, firm and dangerous. "I don't think this is about the ruckus we made at the Doom Hall."

All brows were raised at him.

"What do you mean?" Zhoya asked.

"We've been targeted...for other reason. I just don't know what."

This unexpected turn made the crew more cautious as ever. They had to stay at one inn to another. This time, they went at a cheap inn somewhere near the Black Market. They entered a narrow alley and into a deserted cobbled street.

The crew stepped inside a two-story inn, its sign hanging loose near a flickering streetlight. The door's hinges made a creaking noise as Zeka pushed open the door. The four found themselves in a gloomy, darkened room by the first floor. Cobwebs serve as an unwanted decorations at the ceiling and at the wooden staircase. If it wasn't for the people sitting at the corner, it would appear as though the building was abandoned and derelict.

Zhoya and Zeka went to look for the owner while Alphonse and Wendale was left by themselves. Wendale took a piece of cigar from one of his coat's pocket and lit it. Alphonse strode at the bar counter and reach out the paper pinned at the wall. He fold it twice and put it inside his pocket.

"Come, we've got a room." Zhoya announced. They all followed her upstairs.

They arrived at an average room with double-decker beds. Everyone dropped their belongings at the bed they chose to sleep on. Alphonse, on the other hand, sat at an old-looking couch with his back on the window - the view of the sky was completely obscured by the building in front.

"What's the update with Novicoff?" Alphonse had begun.

Zhoya came forward.

"They are out of the city, as far as I know. It looks like he found an accomplice to carry out whatever he's doing. I've seen him with other people." Zhoya reported smartly.

"Who's this Novicoff?"Zeka asked Wendale in a whisper.

"Sort of a business rival." Wendale replied.

"So he's not on the move." Alphonse uttered in a matter-of-fact tone as he looked ahead, his hand resting atop his raven cane.