a smile hidden

stasia

stasia

  today is nicks birthday and he hasn't mentioned a word to me about it. whether he is trying to test me on it or he doesn't want anything big done, i'm going to pass the test and i am going to do something about it. i got up extra early and tiptoed around the apartment, sure not to wake him up. once i was out the door, i knew i had to be quick before he was onto me.

  there was a bakery a couple miles away so i was just going to pick up one of their already made cakes and either have them write something on it or i will, either way. after that, i was going to pick up just a few donuts for breakfast... we don't think of the sugar count on birthdays.

  once i was ready and in the car, i put some music on and made my way to my destination. soon enough, i arrived, i turned the car off and walked into the bakery, overwhelmed with the fresh smell of baked goods. "welcome in! how can we help you this morning?" a lovely lady asked me. "hi! today is my boyfriends birthday and i don't think he wants anything big done, do you have any small, already made cakes? if so maybe, only if you're able, could you write something on it?" i ask.

  "of course we have some! we are always prepared for some early morning situations like this! over here at this window is what was made late last night and just put out within the hour. i will happily write a message on one and have it packaged for you." she says while i take a look at their options. "thank you so much, oh my gosh. this small white one right here, what kind of cake is it?" i ask her. she takes a look at the number it's sitting by and then at her clipboard. "looks like a vanilla cake with a vanilla frosting and strawberry purée in the middle." she says and i smile. "perfect."

  she gives me a note card and a pen for me to write what i wanted on the cake and took it to the back. "oh wait, what color did you want it in?" she asks. "can you do red and black?" i ask. she nods and walks back to her station.

  after a couple minutes of waiting, she comes out with a white box in her hands and she opens it at the counter. "everything look okay?" she asks. i look over the lettering and all looks well. "sure does. thank you so much... azalea!" i reply and she nods. i pay for the cake, leaving a good tip and say goodbye.

  i was off to the place we've gotten donuts once before, when i got a text. at a red light, a quickly take a look at who it was from.

  nick 🫶🏻
don't tell me you secretly caught your flight back home...

  i giggle at myself because little does he know. once i was parked, i give him the short answer that i just quickly ran to get coffee and that i'd be right back. i ran in and got two medium hot black coffees and a half of a dozen glazed donuts. with the tray in one hand and a pink box in the other, i use my back to push the door open and i am now headed back to the apartment.

  i parked in the respected spot in the parking garage and stood at the trunk of nicks rental car while i wrapped his gift. before i left new york to come here, i bought him a new pair of sunglasses since his last pair broke while we were on set for red, white and royal blue. i have no clue if he's gotten a new pair since then but i haven't seen them if he has.