Chapter 21 - A Mother's Fear

"Is there no dessert today?" Edana asked, pouting so childishly for such an old lady that Eve couldn't hide her laughter

"No, there's nothing sweet for breakfast this morning. Dr Taylor says you shouldn't eat so many pastries," said Eve, chuckling as Edana wrinkled her nose and pouted.

"Dr Taylor is a very cruel man. He enjoys your treats, and then he forbids me to eat any of them,« the old lady said indignantly, "he wants everything for himself, I'm sure of it."

Eve ignored the strange undertone and pushed the tray onto the table when a scream made her stop. The young woman turned her head, as did Edana, and they both frowned.

Had she made a mistake, or had Ray just called out to her?

His voice sounded strangely urgent. Almost rushed?

'What if something has happened?'

The dark shadow of thought rose in her mind, and her fingers automatically tightened their grip on the tray. But the hunch didn't have enough time to solidify.

Then it called again.

Ray's voice sounded rushed. Urgent.

No, much worse: his voice sounded panicked.

Edana couldn't even open her mouth when Eve let go of the tray and ran out of the room. There was a clatter behind her as the plate and cup tipped over and the contents scattered across the floor - she couldn't have been more indifferent.

There was no thought in Eve's mind. There was only the wild pounding in her chest and the growing panic as she took two flights of stairs at once and almost fell because she tripped over a rug and slipped due to the restricted view.

No! No, no, no!

Nothing could have happened.

Eve ran out the door without her shoes and only fleetingly felt the gravel and dampness seeping through her socks. Outside, the autumn chill hit her and immediately prickled her heated skin, but none mattered. Her head whirred back and forth in search of Ray and Liam. Chief's loud bark led her in the right direction - and Eve's blood froze in her veins when she saw the churning water.