Chapter 11 - Morning Melodies

"Liam! Don't jump up the stairs

"Liam! Don't jump up the stairs. You'll fall," Eve's voice sloshed into the silence of the Inn.

"But I can jump really far! Look!" he shouted while Liam giggled, ignored the warning words, and jumped the last two steps. Determined, the boy headed for the back door, pushed in the small latch under the handle, and crowed loudly, "Chiiiief!"

It took less than five minutes for the dog to storm into the warm interior of the house. Together with the boy, the German shepherd scurried around his mum, who was already in the process of feeding her both hungry puppies.

After she had fed the dog, she took care of breakfast. That meant preparing the batter for the pancakes for five people, washing and cutting fruit - after all, there had to be something healthy there, too.

Eve first had to get used to her new life out here. When she needed something in Newport, Oregon, she went to the shop round the corner. Everything was different here.

The nearest larger shops were over two hours away, so people in Silvershore mostly helped each other. But of course, you didn't want to drive an hour to Silvershore and back again just because you were short of butter, so the inn's cellar was like a huge storeroom. Nevertheless, you still had to go to neighbors all the time to get the things you needed.

It was all a change of life that wasn't for everyone. Occasionally, she even considered going to Ireland to stay with her family. But... she knew better.

"Mum, can I play in the garden with Chief?" Liam whined after a short while. He quickly got bored of helping out this time.

"If you stay in sight," said Eve, putting the mixing spoon aside while Liam got his jacket from the wardrobe. "And Liam?"

"Yeah, I know," the boy laced up his shoes and ran to the back door again. "Not in the woods alone, not by the water."

And the two troublemakers were gone.

It took a while to prepare breakfast. Since Ri wasn't a fan of sweet food and Eve didn't know much about the new guest, she started by kneading dough for a few rolls, and soon the kitchen smelled of freshly baked bread. Meanwhile, she whipped the cream for the pancakes and set the table. She took the opportunity to switch on the radio.