Chapter 92 - The Broken Heart

She had just felt proud

She had just felt proud. Proud to have stood up to Dylan and driven him out of her house. Proud to have finally said no, and proud to have helped Ray.

»But before I go... you might want to ask yourself how I found you in the first place. Right, Ryker? Or should I say, Ray?« »Quit pro quo, old friend.«

The words echoed inside her, hitting her like hammer blows.

Old friend.

How he had found her ...

As the cloud of dust rose behind Dylan's car and disappeared into the woods, she lowered her rifle. Suddenly, it felt much heavier than before. Her thoughts raced, tumbled, and stumbled.

"What did he mean by that?"

"Eve, I..."

Her gaze fixed on Ray. She saw his muscles tense under his jumper, and when he turned around, his face was full of ... Guilt.

She knew that look. Dylan made the same face when he was plagued by remorse after a binge. When he drove her home from the hospital or when he was about to leave on another mission. Then he looked at her with exactly that look. Every time, before he told her the most bitter of lies that she had swallowed for so many years: I'm sorry.

"Listen, I wanted to tell you earlier..." Ray began.

"Tell what?" The hunch wrapped around her neck and chest like a scratchy rope, slowly but surely tightening. But she knew the answer before he opened his mouth.

"You told Dylan where we are,« she stated the obvious. "He sent you to find us ... And you betrayed us." Her voice broke. All at once, her fingers were ice-cold again. Suddenly, the loose, previously meaningless puzzle pieces formed a picture. "That's why you asked about Liam's father the first night." Oh God. Suddenly ... everything made sense. "Army ... You knew each other from the army. You knew all along ..."

She felt sick.

"Eve ..." Ray approached her, his hands raised like he was trying to calm an angry dog. "It's true ... we were in the same unit. But... I left the unit; that wasn't a lie."