4. The Wedding of Ghosts

Porchay doesn't understand

Porchay doesn't understand. His mother said that each lotus is supposed to be unique. The lotus on his palm belongs only to him and always did. It represents him in flower form.

How can it—

"The lotus finally blooms," an elderly woman appears by Porchay's side. Her eyes are gentle and caring, the wrinkles around them giving her a somehow trustworthy aura. She is wearing a simple sage green robe with blue embroidering of Forget-Me-Nots at the bottom of the skirt. The robe is simple but not too simple. She might be a servant close to the king or she is something else... Porchay can't trust her. And especially now when she caught him sneaking away from the palace.

The woman smiles at him, "may I know where are you heading, Your Royal Highness?"

Porchay closes his palm, straightens his posture, folds his hands in front of himself and smiles, "I was just admiring the beauty of the palace garden. Especially the lotus in the lake."

The woman nods, her eyes twinkling with knowledge, the kind of knowledge one possesses only after decades of dealing with lies and bluffing. And Porchay knows he didn't fool her.

"Your Royal Highness, you will have an abundance of time to admire the garden of the Moon Palace after the wedding. Right now please proceed back into your chamber," the woman bows and opens her arms in the direction where Porchay ran away from.

"What if I don't want to?" Porchay asks, his mind still stuck on the lotus peacefully floating on the lake. How is it possible?

"With all due respect, Your Royal Highness, I was sent by His Majesty to prepare you for the wedding. We don't have much time so, please do as I asked."

"I am a Crown Prince, I don't have to listen to orders of a servant!" the words leave Porchay's mouth fast and harshly. He doesn't like it. He has always respected everyone the same, whether a noble or a commoner, but right now he has to try everything to get out of here. Maybe he can somehow apologise later. Maybe he can gift the woman fresh flowers that will never die.

"I understand, Your Royal Highness," the woman nods, "but I listen to only orders from His Majesty Kimhan. I was told to prepare you for the wedding no matter what. So please, for your own good, do as the king wants."

Porchay sighs, looks back at the chamber he escaped from and makes the first step towards his doom.

"His Majesty is a good man, Your Royal Highness. You will be in good hands."

Porchay can't help himself; something akin to a broken laugh escapes his lips, "it seems, that our kingdoms are different in everything. Even in perceiving the goodness in people."

They enter the chamber and the woman opens the wooden chest. It was placed on the bed all this time. Porchay hasn't even noticed.

"I know that you haven't asked, Your Royal Highness, but I'm His Majesty's nanny. Poor boy, he never knew the touch of a mother. It would be blasphemy of me to say that I know His Majesty the best in the entire kingdom, but I know him enough to know that deep in his heart he is a good man."