𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷: 𝙷𝚊𝚣𝚎

The prison cell door buzzes open, breathing the silence that had become all too familiar. The sounds of boots echo through the hall as a guard hands over a pile of neatly folded clothes. The fresh fabric against your skin feels so good, like a calming reminder that you're no longer confined in that wretched place. Squinting your eyes against the bright sun, you sigh, taking in the freedom that surrounds you. Now what?

"Y/N!" a sudden familiar voice cuts out through the air. You look over to see your friend, Kendo, running toward you with a genuine smile on her face. Her hug is warm, and it makes you feel loved. She's the only person to hug you since the incident, and you feel yourself melting into the touch. "I'm so happy you're finally out. How have you been?"

Your reply is quite simple. "I need a shower."

"Oh, right," she grins as she guides you toward her car. "You can stay with me at the shop for a while. Shower isn't great, but it works."

"Thanks," you reply as you open the passenger door and step inside.

The car ride is silent. You have nothing to say to her yet, you don't even know how she feels about you right now. She never came to visit the prison and you sure as hell didn't have enough money to be making any calls that would be long enough to explain what had happened.

"I'm trying to think," she hums, finally breaking the silence as she travels along the once-familiar roads. God, one thing that hasn't changed is how shitty everything looks. Of course you had to be the small part of the population that didn't have any quirks or, really, means to defend yourself. "Not much has changed around here..."

Not much? you think to yourself as she takes a left turn that causes your heart to drop into your stomach. It's all changed.

"Sorry," she mutters, the car seeming to slow down as she drives her crappy car down the one road you wish she wouldn't.

Your neighborhood has indeed shifted, forcing you to catch up with a world that has moved on without you. Passing the remnants of your burned-down home, the painful reminder of your past, doesn't help much either. Your body aches as you catch sight of two teenagers graffiti the wall, leaving their own mark of destruction and chaos. The car speeds up, the tires squealing a bit as they take another left turn.

"It's okay," you reassure her, looking down at your lap.

"So, uh, did you make any friends while you were away?" she asks as though you had spent a year frolicking in faction two with all of the climate guardians.

"A few," you mutter, "but they're serving longer sentences so it doesn't quite matter. Oh, that reminds me, my parole officer is going to check in on me so I'm going to have to give her your address."

"Sure thing," she smiles softly as she parks the car outside of the small shop she calls home. She then reaches into the glovebox, grabs a small piece of paper and a pen, and jots down her address before handing it to you. "Here you go, I'm sure you don't think about address while you're-"

"Thanks," you mutter, getting out of the car and grabbing your bag.

"Oh," she says, popping the trunk and pulling out a few bags. "I got you some food and a few necessities." You can tell she has no idea how to handle your return. Why is she even letting you stay with her if she's this confused? "Come on, let's go around back."

Kendo guides you to the back entrance of the small building where she lives. She sets down her bags for a moment as she searches her pockets for her key and unlocks the door. You then reach for one of the bags she had set down.

"Thank you," you mutter as she opens the door and walks inside. You follow her past the first door and watch as she unlocks the one on the left. When it's open, she ushers you inside and sets the bag down on the bed. It's just enough space for the bed, nightstand, and plant, but it's nice. It's a room that you can call your own and not a cage with a cot.