𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸: 𝙵𝚘𝚐

ONE YEAR AGO

Within the first faction, a routine surveillance offers meeting begins as scheduled. Representatives from various factions have gathered to share information and coordinate efforts to maintain security between all eight factions. The room buzzes with hushed conversations before beginning on the true meaning of the conference.

"Unauthorized access is happening more frequently than ever," Officer Suzuki from the third faction speaks up, his concern evident from the way his bushy eyebrows furrow together.

"Faction five's forgers are likely behind this. Their work is too convincing," an officer from the fours declares, his eyes scanning the gathered faces for agreement.

"Well," one of the representatives from the fifth speaks up, "all we know right now is that someone is making fake inter-faction permits."

"Which are being recognized as real by scanners," Officer Sakamoto from the eight faction chimes in, earning a few nods.

"You must keep a careful eye on those quells," the Home Secretary hums as he looks straight into Sakamoto's eyes. "They've got the highest amount of movement in all the factions. I hope all of your officers are keeping a keen eye."

"Yes sir," Sakamoto replies, nodding. "We are doing our best."

"We must stop these criminals," the Justice Secretary announces. "As soon as they are found, they will be arrested and imprisoned."

Once the meeting is adjourned, Sakamoto gathers his belongings and rushes over to the Prime Minister who hadn't bothered to speak one word the entire time. "Sir," he begins, hardly containing his excitement. This was the perfect moment to share a significant achievement- the capture of the notorious quirk killer and lead activist in the eighth (his biggest opposition). "I've got a report. We have apprehended Chizome Akaguro."

However, as he hovers over where the Prime Minister had been sitting, he catches sight of a set of documents on the Prime Minister's desk. The words cause a chill down his spine. Experiments within the eighth faction? What is this? Sakamoto freezes in places, not quite sure what to say or do next.

"Akaguro, you say?" the Prime Minister replies with a fake smile. "Let's discuss this later, shall we? Celebrate."

Sakamoto nods and turns to leave without saying another word, but suddenly the expression on the Prime Minister's face shifts. "Was there anything else you wanted to ask?"

Caught off guard, Sakamoto hesitates, the disturbing information on the desk paralyzes his words. "I... I apologize, Prime Minister, but I'm not quite sure what you mean."

"Never mind then, Officer. You may be on your way," the Prime Minister says with a soft laugh, dismissing the question before it had even been spoken.

"Thank you," Sakamoto replies and steps away, leaving behind an uneasy atmosphere.

The Prime Minister, annoyingly perceptive, doesn't allow the encounter to escape his notice. "Follow Officer Sakamoto. And be sure he makes it home safely, will you?" he whispers to one of the enforcers still standing nearby. 

∿*̩̣‧̩̣₊̣‧̩̣*̩̣𐦍*̩̣‧̩̣₊̣‧̩̣*̩̣∿

The bell above the door chimes as a customer walks in the entrance to Kendo's small shop where you've been spending the past week working to thank her for her hospitality. You glance up from arranging the merchandise to find your patrol officer, Camie, standing in the room with a look of curiosity on her face. Kendo looks up from behind the counter, raising an eyebrow at the unexpected guest.

"Welcome, is there anything we can help you look for?" Kendo smiles kindly.

"Actually, I'm here for Sakamoto," Camie hums as she lets her fingers trail along a set of Kendo's handmade earrings. "Have you got a minute?"

You nod, stepping outside of the store with her so as to not interfere with Kendo's business. As you walk together towards the road, Camie wastes no time in getting to the point.

"I've been doing some thinking," she hums. "If we're going to continue to work together, I'd like to be able to call you by your first name. Is that alright?"

"I don't see why not," you agree, shrugging as you walk side-by-side.

"Great," she smiles. "And now that we're friends, I'll give you a few more days to settle into your new life before we work out the details of the plea deal."

You chew the inside of your cheek as she brings up the sore subject. If Camie wasn't a quell, you'd be pretty sure she was the one who personally put your fingerprints all over the crime scene. Seriously, she's the worst.

You sigh, knowing that this was coming sooner or later. "What do you mean?" you ask, already anticipating the answer.

Camie searches my eyes for a moment before running a hand through her hair as letting out a groan. "God, Y/N, you're like such a dumbass sometimes, and I say that as your friend. Did you not hear me when we talked about it last time? I mean, seriously, who hit you on the head with a ton of bricks?"

You wish you could just pull all of her pretty hair out. "No," you scoff. Six years in prison would be a hell of a lot better than what you've got coming to you, but there's really no getting around it right now. "I remember. I just thought you'd maybe clue me in a little bit more on the specifics before you leave for a few days. You know, since we're friends and all."

"Oh," she hums as though she's seriously considering it. "Well, I guess you're right but honestly, I don't know the specifics yet, either. Nothing has been confirmed just yet by the secretaries."

"Fine," you sigh, shaking your head. "Can I get back to helping my friend, then?"

"Of course. Everything seems in order inside. I'm glad you've got a friend who still..." she trails off, deciding to stop talking before making you want to punch her again. And then, her expression softens. "We'll work out the details, figure out what needs to be done. But, Y/N, you've got to be ready. It won't be an easy job."

"No shit," you grumble. The idea of trading one set of chains for another wasn't appealing at all. And even though she makes it seem as though you do have a choice, you know damn well that you don't.

"Alright, one week, Y/N," she then perks up. "And after that, we'll work out the details!"

You simply nod before turning back towards the shop, but before you get far, Camie's hand reaches your shoulder and stops you.

"It's the only way, Y/N. Trust me."

As you walk back into the shop, the bell chimes once more. Kendo looks over at you, recognizing the fear in your eyes right away. One week until your life changes all over again, and the clock is already ticking.