4. Seduced

Kolkata had been both city of my dreams

And also the city I left behind when I was very young only coming back here when absolutely necessary. It was just something my father had asked me to do. So, I followed his instructions without any questions.

Now, sitting in the living room of one of the prettiest houses I had ever seen here, I couldn't help but take in my surrounding. Accessing the foreign environment. It had just become one of my many habits to be vary of almost the most harmless things.

The room was lit with vintage yellow lamps on the corners of the walls and a huge chandelier hung on top of the seating area. A gramophone and a collection of fine music arranged on one side of the room. And the other side filled with a shelf of classics and poems from top to bottom.

And a huge painting of Rabindranath Tagore on one of the walls. Which was filled with some other paintings. And a grand piano at the farthest edge of the room.

The soft serene smell of sandalwood filled the room.

"Naisha... It's been so long since we attended that lecture how do you still remember the professor's words by heart?" Maa asked curiously a soft smile on her face while Naisha kaki laughed and told her something about how the professor's accent and expressions were something that they can never forget.

After analysing the whole room almost fifteen time within the span of thirty minutes. It felt quite mundane to keep looking at it. Even though it looked homely and cozy. I really had come here only to meet the girl and then politely reject her and walk away.

'Politely' because she was Maa's friend's daughter and extremely young. I was told that she was just twenty one. I don't even understand why hey parents would want to marry such a young girl.

I resist the urge to look at my wrist watch as I could feel the scrutinizing look of her two elder brothers and their wives. As if assessing me and checking my worth. And I am not really used to being on the receiving end of that look. I try to maintain my blank face while I continue listening to the conversation between our mothers and our fathers making small talk.

"Anurag beta... are you comfortable? You haven't spoken a word since you got here." Naisha Kaki asked me her eyes slightly concerned. As if worrying that I was not pleased with this arrangement between our families.

And her worries were justified because I was truly not very pleased with being pulled here last minute when I had to look into the quarterly finance reports. And it was even more annoying that maa had confiscated my phone in the car as I kept talking to clients and Ruhan about the deals and papers.

"Yes, Kaki. Don't worry about me. I am just interested in the story you and maa are talking about. Hence, I have been quiet." And as I completed speaking. I felt a new presence in the room.

The gentle sound of a light payal and clinging of bangles. A sweet scent rich in honey, jasmine and musk clouded my senses. I looked up. My eyes following the sound of the payal. And in front of me stood