13. Ares starts fights on Twitter💀

AFTER FEW MINUTES, the three had finally managed to go to the diner. Retro music was playing as Ares laughed, looking into his phone behind the kids, laughing like a lunatic.

"Guess this is the right place." Percy said as they walked up to Ares's table.

"Gimme a second, I'm just starting a fight on Twitter here." Ares said, texting on his phone, the kids sitting on the comfy seat together, "Nothing makes me happier than w good old-fashioned, burn-it-down fight." Ares added.

"What are you fighting about? Why should child support be banned? Because clearly some dads can't take it." Erika said, looking at Ares as he glared at her, Annabeth nudged, Signalling Erika to stay quiet. "What? I was talking about Zeus."

"Ah. Okay, done." Ares said before he placed his phone on the table. "So your quest.. is going to fail. Ask me how I know."

"It isn't gonna fail." Percy said.

Ares scoffed before saying, "Sure it is. For starters." He said before he showed the kids a video.

"Percy was always troubled," Gabe said in the local New York news. "But I never thought he was capable of something like this."

"Who's that?" Erika asked, looking at Percy.

"My stepdad." Percy responded, "What's he doing?"

"Wait for it." Ares responded.

"A kid that messed up? What wouldn't he do?" Gabe said.

"What?" Percy mumbled under his breath.

"Wild, right? The FBI is already spreading your picture around." Ares informed.

"It's a Camara. I really - We really loved that car." Gabe cried. "So much.... Cut!"

"I'm gonna kill him." Percy whispered, looking at Gabe.

"I'll help you." Erika whispered as she stared at Gabe's face. "He looks like an effed up dic-"

"I knew I was gonna like you." Ares said, looking at Percy.

"More than your own children? That isn't surprising at all." Erika mumbled sarcastically.

"But safe to say, the chances of you four idiots hitchhiking the rest of the way to L.A. without getting arrested are slim to none." Ares continued.

"Why are you sitting here then?" Annabeth asked. "If you're supposed to be looking for the master bolt too, shouldn't you be out there looking for it?"

"Hm. There's no fear in you, is there? Doesn't matter. Whether the bolt's retrieved or not, Zeus is going to war with Poseidon." Ares said. The kids looked at each other before Percy said.

"No. The Oracle said if we return the bolt, there wouldn't be a war."

"Is that what she said, or is that what Chiron said she meant?" Ares asked, looking at Percy. "Yeah. You're new to the family, young one, so let me fill you in on how we work. See, years before I was born, my grandpa Kronos ate my aunts and uncles. Yeah. Then my dad made him puke them back up, then chopped him into a million pieces and chucked 'em into a bottomless pit, so that kinda set the tone right outta the gate. Olympians fight. We betray. We backstab, We will push anyone down a flight of stairs to get ahead. And that's why I love my family so much. My dad knows he's not getting this bolt back with quests or goose chases. He knows there's a war coming. In reality, I think he's okay with that. I think he feels it's just time for a war, so we're gonna have a war." Ares explained, the kids were flabbergasted with what they just heard. Ares inhaled before he said, "Isn't that great?"

Percy soon recovered from what he had just heard. "We're completing this quest. We're stopping this war. You said you can help. Can you?"

"Okay, so here it is. There's an amusement park up the road. I left my shield there. You get me my shield back, and I'll get you to the Underworld by lunch tomorrow with a plan to invade Hades's palace."

"You left your shield? Like, forgot it on the merry-go-round?" Erika asked, looking at Ares.

"Okay. The chirping was funny to me for a minute, but it is getting old. So do we have a deal, or am I killing all three of you so I can eat in peace?" Ares asked through gritted teeth, threatening to kill the three, excluding his own daughter. Erika somehow didn't look scared. At all.

"Okay." Erika said before anyone could.

"Great. One catch. I really do need that shield back, so I'm gonna keep the satyr here as collateral so you two don't run off." Ares said, looking at his daughter, Annabeth and Percy.

"What? No." Erika said.

"Okay." Grover said, looking at Ares.

"No way." Percy said, looking at Grover. "We don't split up again."

"It's okay." Grover said.

"If he wanted to kill us, we'd be dead by now." Grover added, looking at Ares. "Can I just walk them to the door?"

Area sighed, agreeing to this request as Erika, Annabeth, and Percy were being walked to the door.

"Okay, look. Don't engage with him. He'll wanna get you riled up, get in your head, and you can't let him." Erika said, knowing what kind of person her father can be.

"It's okay. Really." Grover said.

"I know what I'm doing. Go. Get that shield." Grover responded, "I'll be here when you two get back."

Erika, Annabeth, and Percy hesitated for a second before they finally left the diner.