𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

📍Chicago, Illinois

January 3rd, 2033

Mia's POV

    No, none of that 'New Year, new me' bullshit. New year, same old cranky-ass Michaela. EXCEPT, cranky Michaela's getting married this year—well, I hope. Ashtray and I decided we'd get married this year, but we don't have a date yet. Their mom insisted on helping us plan it all, but I'm not sure about it and neither is Ashtray; in their words, she's a bit controlling."

It was now 6:25 AM. The faint light of dawn was beginning to filter through the kitchen window, casting a pale glow over the room. Ashtray had already left for work. These morning shifts pissed me off. Without them here, I was already awake, giving me time to make myself some coffee. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled the air, a small comfort in the quiet morning.

I sat on the kitchen island, my laptop open in front of me as I sipped my coffee. Usually Yanelie would send me my schedule for the day. But, instead of opening an email with my schedule, I received a resignation letter.

Sent last night at 9:57 pm.

I quickly picked up my phone and dialed her number, but it went straight to voicemail—either she blocked me or her phone's on DND. Frustrated, I drummed my fingers on the countertop before making my way to the room and threw a shirt on.

I left the apartment and headed up the stairs to her floor. Since we're neighbors, it was a short trip. The hallway was dimly lit, and the quietness of the early hour amplified the sound of my footsteps. I reached her door and started ringing the doorbell repeatedly, because I know they ass asleep.

After the tenth ring, the door swung opened to Tess; in a some shorts and a sports bra, her hair was in a mess, mugging the fuck outta me. She obviously just woke up.

"Why you ringing my shit like that?" She questioned, "It's not even seven in the morning, bruh."

"Where's Yanelie?" I asked, crossing my arms and staring her down.

"She's asleep. What do you want?" Tess replied.

"Explanations," I said, pushing past her into the apartment,Tess smacked her lips in. I heard the door close behind me as she disappeared down the hallway. Moments later, Yanelie appeared.

"Uh, good morning." She greeted with a smile, when there's nothing to smile about.

"There's nothing good about this morning." I responded, "Why did I receive an email stating that you quit?"

"Cause I quit?" She replied.

"Why? Do I not pay you well enough? You want a raise?" I fired off questions in rapid succession. "Was I too hard on you? Do I overwork you?"

"No," she replied softly, looking down at her feet.

"Then what?" I asked, my confusion growing.

"It's getting in the way of my studies," she explained, "I failed three quizzes in a row. The GED program needs my full attention, but when it's time to study, I'm already drained. I can't fully focus, so I don't understand the material and fail."

I nodded, understanding dawning on me. "We're friends before you're my assistant. We could've talked about it and sorted something out. At least give me a heads up. I woke up thinking I didn't have to worry about my schedule because I normally have someone to count on."

"My fault for real," Yanelie apologized. "I was s'posed ta tell you when we came the day of your birthday but I forgot."

"What am I supposed to do now?" I questioned, feeling the weight of the situation. "What if I cut your hours short or something? I need an assistant, and you've been doing a great job. I honestly don't want anyone else but you."