A Fight Well-Worthwhile ≫ Alderheart x Male! Reader (PLATONIC)

Art: GrayPillow

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Some angst
• Some violence
• Mild gore

This was requested by Shadow_Queen29!

****

You weren't sure about anything anymore. It seemed that, no matter how many steps you took to ensure the safety and well-being of your clanmates, it just wasn't enough. You weren't the only cat in ThunderClan who noticed it, either; ever since Bramblestar's near-death experience, he had been acting...strange, to say the least. Almost as if another cat was wearing his pelt and giving ridiculous orders. He sent you out on painstakingly long hunting patrols to bring back mouthfuls of prey, which he always ate himself. He forced you to isolate yourself from your friends, only to spend hours alone in his den. Once again, you weren't sure about anything. Well, almost anything.

The only son of the tyrannical tabby—one of the ThunderClan medicine cats—had become your best friend throughout your ordeal of loneliness and despair. You visited him in his den when he was alone and talked with him for as long as you could get away with, even going as far as to sneak away from patrols in order to get some time alone with him. You truly believe that you would be lost without Alderheart, and you liked to think he felt the same way. After all, you had shared your deepest, most valued secrets with him; something you would never do unless you felt a deep connection.

"Good morning," The cherry-colored tom meowed politely as you slipped into the potent-smelling den. "Come to help me sort a few of these herbs?" He lifted his right forepaw, slowly moving it in front of the many leaves and berries he had laid out in a perfectly straight line, as if he were a queen proudly showing off her brand new litter.

You grinned, gaining a light spring in your usually heavy step as you made your way towards him. "Nah," You purred. "I'm just using you as an excuse to ditch my fourth patrol."

Alderheart's smirk immediately vanished. "Fourth?" He echoed in disbelief. "Great StarClan—it's barely past dawn! How does Bramblestar expect you to keep up with these ridiculous tasks all day?"

"Keep your voice down," You hissed, flattening your ears and casting an uneasy glance at the den entrance behind you before swiveling your head around again to face your friend. "Aren't you worried about your father overhearing us talking about him?"

Alderheart blinked, then let out a frustrated huff. "He already knows everything about everyone," He argued matter-of-factly. "What's the point in hiding our displeasure from him now?"

"He's been exiling his own warriors daily," You retorted anxiously. "If he finds a reason to send us away, he will!"

Your cherry-colored friend blinked, then sighed. "I know you're right, (Y/N), but what can we do? Talking to my father these days is like trying to persuade a badger to eat fox dung; it's not safe." You saw pain flash across his amber eyes as he finished speaking, and he ducked his head timidly. "Just promise me you won't do anything reckless, okay?"

You stared at the young medicine cat, a thousand different emotions waging a war inside of your mind. Part of you wanted to comfort him, part of you wanted to give your leader a piece of your mind, and part of you wanted to try and convince him to leave the Clan with you. It was all making your head spin, and for a moment, you thought you would collapse under the weight of it all. "Okay," You mumbled, averting your gaze. "I'll do my best."