Chp 20 - Bondita's concerns

Anirudh had tears flowing down his cheek while he spoke in a cracking voice " Kaka you know very well I can never think of tainting Bondita's character. I never meant anything wrong for Bondita. I just wanted to educate her and give her all the privileges she deserves. If Batuk could get educated, why not Bondita? If Batuk could play outdoor, why not Bondita? Just because she is a Girl , why is she bound to stay indoors unlike Batuk and others of her age?" Trilochan raised his hand to stop him and spoke in a loud voice" Enough. No point asking these baseless questions. These are the norms of the society which you need to accept when you need to live in this world. It's not your choice. Now atleast realise your mistake and stop her education immediately." Anirudh was about to deny while Trilochan spoke " Bahu, Anirudh would not listen to all this due to his fitoor. I hope you atleast know the values of a family. You are our Gruhalakshmi, you look good Indoors not outdoors. Hope you will stick to our morals and can explain this to your Patibabu." While Bondita had her head down in tears, Trilochan moved ahead towards Batuk and spoke harshly " Pack your bags and we will leave to Tulsipur right away. I don't want you to stay amidst your Boudi in this house." Batuk worriedly rebelled " But kaka.." Trilochan yelled " I SAID PACK YOUR BAGS RIGHT AWAY. I WILL TEACH YOU SOME MANNERS ON OUR WAY BACK HOME." Batuk had rage in his eyes. He looked at Bondita with an expression holding anger and pain. He then packed his bags and walked towards the door step. Trilochan held Batuk's arm and left to Tulsipur not before saying "Bahu, I'm counting on you to bring back our family to normalcy. I will wait for the day when you as elder daughter in law will manage the house, your husband and family and maintain harmony just the way Shubhra behen used to. I hope you will not let me down."

Bondita sat down on the floor, burst out sobbing loudly. Her pallu over our head was disheveled, her kajal smudged, fingers fidgeting with the end of her saree. Anirudh ran towards her and sat down on his knees beside her. He placed his hand on her shoulder to calm her and spoke with tears " I'm sorry Bondita, I failed in every aspect. I failed to become a good brother and even your protector. You used to call me 'Rakshak Babu' but the time when you needed my support , I left you alone and came here. The time when I had to teach my brother , the difference between right and wrong, I left home. If I was along with you, I would not have let anyone speak a word against you. My own brother was manipulating you, playing with your emotions all these years and I didn't even know. I'm sorry , sorry." He too was crying out loud along with Bondita. Bondita unable to see him in tears turned around to hug him. While her head was against his shoulder, she answered " No Patibabu. It is me who was wrong. I was the one who insisted to admit me in a school after meeting Gandhi Ji. It was me , who provoked you for my school admission. You were educating me at home, but I crossed the borders of the house." Anirudh broke the hug in shock. He looked at Bondita and spoke" No Bondita, you are mistaken. All this didn't happen as you went to study in a school. It was just that Batuk needed some guidance which all of us failed to give him. At teenage, we often get attracted towards the opposite gender and we need to be careful at that age. While I was absent, I doubt if other members of the house noticed his behaviour and intentions. You don't think about what Kaka said. It's not at all due to you Bondita."

Bondita cried out in rage " No Patibabu, its all due to me. You wanted to educate me and hence have suffered so much. You always fought with the society, family, you yourself left your home and settled down here for so many years only for me. Even now, we are staying away from our home and family just for my education. No Patibabu, all this is not needed. Lets leave all this here and go back to Tulsipur forever. I don't see any benefit of us fighting so much for my education. As such, most of the women don't get educated. Few other woman who have been educated, have studied at their homes itself. I'm the only girl who has got educated till 12th std that too in a  School, a structural organization.  So this itself is a big achievement for me. I don't need any more achievements. Let's please stop my education here and go back to Tulsipur."