Chp 29 - Mending Relationships

Anirudh's face was red in anger as he walked down the streets of Tulsipur with Shashwati in his arms. Shashwati was silent and was enjoying a nap safely in Anirudh's strong arms. Bondita then slowly released her palm from Anirudh's grip. Looking at Anirudh's anger lit face, she placed her palm on his shoulder to calm him down. Anirudh yelled in anger in midst of the streets, "I cannot imagine that our family can betray us to such an extent. I always thought we just had difference of opinion yet we respect each other's point of view, but however this time what all of them did was just unthinkable." Anirudh eyes started tearing up while he continued, " I thought all of them love me but they don't...". His voice started cracking. Bondita too had tears in her eyes. She placed her other palm on his cheek and responded, " No Patibabu it is not like that. They all love you a lot. Infact, whatever they did is because they love you. If they don't want me to come in your way it is because they love you isn't it? " Anirudh replied grinding his teeth, "Really Bondita? Now are you justifying them?" Bondita instantly nodded in negation saying. "No No Patibabu, I'm not justifying their actions, but I want to say that they still love you. They love you the most in the family. Tha.." She was interrupted by Anirudh, " Enough Bondita. I don't want to listen anything about it. I have decided we are going to stay in Calcutta permanently. We are never going to come back here again. This is our last visit to Tulsipur." Bondita replied in shock, "Permanently? Patibabu please don't.." She was again interrupted by him, " Bondita , I' don't want to talk a word about this." He pulled out her palm from his cheek and pulled her closer saying, " Come lets leave now. We have few hours for our train. Meanwhile lets meet the doctor to see if we can help Sampoorna with her health condition." Bondita just nodded, unable to melt his anger. Indeed he was too angry and hurt this time. It was not easy to console him. She just followed him waiting patiently for the right time to calm him. 

At the doctor's clinic, Anirudh introduced himself and asked for help. Doctor replied, " Anirudh babu, I know about your friend Saurabh's' wife's condition. Saurabh visited me couple of times, however the problem is that since her body is very delicate and has always been used to ayurvedic medicines, these modern allopathic medicines don't suit her. Women of our country have always been kept away from allopathic medicines. You very well know that we doctors are not even allowed to touch the women patients for diagnosing the problem. Woman had always been given only ayurvedic medicines. I already suggested Saurabh to take her to a very good vaid who can give her appropriate ayurvedic medicines. Ayurvedic medicines have tremendous potential to cure anyone. It is just that with the introduction of modern medicine, people want faster results and hence started preferring these English medicines over ayurvedic ones. I suggest you can take her to Kalindi Das in Krishna nagar. She is one of the best vaid in entire Bengal. She can surely help treat Sampoorna." Anirudh and Bondita looked at each other making an eye contact. They both knew that Thakuma has denied treating Sampoorna. They left the clinic with a fallen face. Anirudh called for a Bullock cart and asked him to drop them at Krishna nagar. Bondita questioned him, " Patibabu are we going to Krishna nagar?" Anirudh replied with a nod, " Yes Bondita, now only Thakuma can cure Sampoorna and I have assured Saurabh that I will do my best to help her get cured. So let's go to krishna nagar. We will quickly leave from there to the railway station." Bondita's face grew pale. She didn't want to go to the Das haveli. She has broken her relationship with them and now she didn't want all those bitter memories to resurface. However, knowing that Anirudh would not give up she silently sat in the Bullock cart along with Shaswati and Anirudh. 

Soon they reached Das haveli. Bondita was now carrying Shashwati and was reluctant to go inside. She was worried if Thakuma would taunt Anirudh for being fitoori about her education and not thinking of family life. Anirudh was already in anger with Roy Chaudhary family. She didn't wanted Thakuma to trouble him in any way be it directly or indirectly. She was just standing at the door step lost in thoughts when Anirudh saw her pale face. He asked, " What happened Bondita? Why are you standing there. Come lets go in." Bondita replied," Patibabu, do you really think we should go in? Why can't we ask any other vaid to help sampoorna didi? " Anirudh replied," Why Bondita? We know that Thakuma is such a good vaid. She can definitely treat sampoorna. It is just the matter of convincing her. I will do that, don't worry. Come along."