CHAPTER THREE; HEAD COUNT

CHIUNA ACHEBE couldn't have illustrated any better than he did in his book ,THERE WAS A COUNTRY!
He wrote, and I quote;
*when we noticed the federal government of Nigeria didn't respond to our call to end the program , we concluded that the government that failed to protect the lives of it's citizens has no claim to their allegiance and must be ready to accept that the victims deserve the right to seek their safety in other ways- including secession.* CHIUNA ACHEBE

How does the government intend to fight corruption when in fact it is she who bores THE CORRUPTION?
I've heard once that the victims are in the best position to tell their story, they feel it... only they know where it hurts! The victims, The citizens.

This was why I joined the army, my country's change had to begin with me; my sacrifice was for my country's productivity!

For man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
                                        ALEXIS CARREL

"Bravo five" the commander called out.
"Yes sir" I responded unflinchingly
"I need a total head count of the bodies, take separate records of the children...do you copy?" Instructed the commander.
"Copy sir" I screamed out loud with my right hand in salute waiting for dismissal.

We had failed, we had failed the fathers and mothers... we had failed the sons and daughters.
Our division had received a distress call about three hours ago.
We were late, and now half the community is down...there are over a hundred dead bodies.

On our way to the rescue, we encountered about four booby traps in distinctive places- which was probably set for us by the village intruders. That ambush caused our delay and bought those murders more time to carry out the massacre in the local village.

I couldn't place a finger on who was to blame- the society for producing such delinquents or we, the army who couldn't make it in time.

"Salute commander,
      ninety adults and twenty children were murdered sir" I gave the report with my right hand in salute and a tear rolling down my cheek.

"Alright Bravo five, you know what to do!" Said the commander as he nodded his head before walking away.

In less than ten minutes, the military bird had arrived to render first aid to the injured survivors while we awaited the ambulance.

The lifeless bodies of minors was a sight I hated to behold.

" how far Willow? Are you okay?" Asked Tobi
" no, no I'm not. We could have done better" I said
" don't blame yourself Willow, we're all sad about this" added Ibrahim.
" I don't blame myself, I blame us In general for focusing group strength on a minor ambush rather than engaging in a selfless rescue".

END OF CHAPTER
watching innocent people die should be added amongst sad military moments.

Please, don't forget to read,vote, follow and comment on my book.
Thanks