CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE; COMRADES OF HONOR

3 DAYS LATER
I opened my eyes to the brightest light ever, I was in a room with purple and white paint...this is the first time in years I've been in a room with colors other than camouflage green.

"The lights please" I said slightly covering my eyes with my left palm.

"She's awake" screamed Louis as he ran towards me, followed up by Tolani and the rest of the Justice league.

"Hey, how are you? Someone's here to see you" said Victor

"Who?" I asked, tightening my eyes to figure who the new person was through the figures of familiar people.

"Sergeant Willow" I heard an elderly voice call out to me.

"Oh my God, General Everest Ike" I said in a low tune.

"No need to introduce myself then" responded General Everest Ike as he chuckled to my display.

"No, no; not at all sir" I said as I rose my right hand to a salute.

"You have done a lot, you've done great!
Usually, sergeants who carry out unauthorized plans are severely punished... what makes you different is the number of lives that were saved rather than taken." Said General Everest.

"After the already concluded meeting with the authorities at The Abuja district headquarters- I am pleased to inform you that you've been promoted or...can I say upgraded?.
You are now in charge of the strategic foresight department, sergeant Willow" Said General Everest.

Most people in the room clapped loudly for a joy I was yet to feel, while the rest chanted my name for a fame I wasn't ready for.

"You're to resume the post after your three-months leave which is already granted.
Anything else you might need sergeant?" Asked General Everest.

"Yes sir.

A military visit to Mrs Samson Delight. Mother of the deceased sergeant- Mercy Samson; she's currently at kaduna." I said to General Everest.

"Alright then, heal fast...
A soldier is never comfortable on a sickbay " said General Everest as he left the room, leaving me with the justice league (they probably don't know I refer to them as that).

2 MONTHS LATER
Getting hurt is as easy as ABC, while healing...well, healing is as strenuous as lifting weight. I wasn't just healing from the gunshots wounds- I was healing from betrayal, I was healing from the trauma, I was healing from the loss of both my friends. Heaven knows... I have never felt so alone.

I've spent 2months in this hospital already, I wasn't completely healed- but at least I could walk with those legs that almost got amputated. Maybe General Everest was right after all... "A solider is never comfortable on a sickbay" the field is my birthright!

"I am dismissed!" I said, standing in front of the hospital receptionist who was quite surprised that I had packed up already.

"Okay" responded the receptionist who handed me a dismissal paper to sign before wishing me further recovery.
Since I walked out myself and signed the papers too, I doubt she had any doubts that I was for sure free to go.

Having another chance to life made me realize I needed to live more- come to think of it, my only memories are my childhood, the times I got bullied and of course my military adventures... I had never even been to the beach or gone shopping, I had no love life and preferred holding guns to painting my nails and wearing heels; feels like the world's activities left me behind.

My family...home!

I had never called or returned their laters because I felt I might just mess things up...more than I left it. I felt I had brought some sort of shame upon the family name...who on Earth would love to be friends with the father of a killer? Or do business with the mother of a soldier killer? So I thought- but it shouldn't be the case... maybe it's not the case.

I'm reaching out to home!

END OF CHAPTER
There's nothing as beautiful as the reward of hard-work and loyalty... I think Willow deserved what she got and even more.

The condolence visit to Kaduna Willow suggested was really kind, rarely are people remembered for the good they've done.

And yes...she had better reached out to home!

Thanks for reading, please don't forget to follow, vote and leave your comments in it's section. Thanks a lot guys❤️