CHAPTER THIRTEEN; FLIGHT OF THE EAGLES

The military cadence for our departed brothers had just ended. The soldiers shot bullets into the air and released the white doves to signify peace. The military members also presented the arms (rendering of salute) to the departed.

The whole arena and hall was decorated with gold and navy green linens and flowers. After the field demonstration, everyone found their way to the hall for the tributes and other activities.

Most family members of the martyrs were present at the farewell funeral- those who didn't come... I think, found it difficult to bear the loss and didn't feel it was time to come face-to-face with their fears which has now become a reality.

The view of the audience from the stage looked beautiful, they were all dressed in black, while on the left; sat the sergeants in a semi-circular form...including Tobi and I.

The honor rendered was incredibly massive and well oriented. If this honor didn't have to do with getting shot severally, exploding and dying- I definitely would have wished to be in the same shoes as Ibrahim...

"I wonder how it must be for Ibrahim" I said standing behind a woman dressed in black.

"Now, he feels neither the cold nor the heat,
He feels no emotions- no happiness, joy, sadness or hate.
He can feel neither my pinch, or the breeze of the wind...or even the down pour of the rains.
There won't be any noise in his silence... and his life is no longer filled with the uncertainties of living" I said poetically.

"I am sorry ... do I know you?" She asked after taking a 180° turn to face me.

" you may not, but of course I know you" I said
"Pardon my manners ma, I am Ibrahim's friend and colleague. My name is Willow" I said in a bow

"Ah, God bless you my daughter; you will live long- death will forever be far away from you" she blessed me with her right hand on my left shoulder.

"Amen ma" I responded

"Ibrahim has told me a lot about you and Tobi, it's such a shame we got to meet in this sort of state. Tobi unko? Where is he?" She asked.

"Tobi" I beckoned on him from the window side where he preferred to stand and watch.

Ibrahim's mum weeped bitterly on Tobi's arrival as she pulled us both to a hug.

"We will find the traitor ma" said Tobi..with tears rolling down his cheek... this has to be the first time I had seen Tobi cry since after Ibrahim's death.

"Ahhh" exclaimed Ibrahim's mum
"You know who killed my boy?
Ah, ahh, ahhh" she cried, bitting her index finger.

"We will find whosoever it is and bring him to immediate justice so our friend can find peace" said Tobi.

I honestly wondered why his morale was so high... maybe he's in the atmosphere of grief.

"We promise that ma, besides- Ibrahim would have done the same for us." I said

LATER THAT EVENING

*bulk of papers slammed on the bench*

"How far? What's this?" I asked Tobi who seemed eager to join me on the bench I positioned beneath the shade of the mango tree.

"Records" said Tobi

"Records of phone calls and text conversations of every sergeant in this barracks- from before and after the incident" summarized Tobi, looking into my eyes with tiredness.

"Emm, okay...okay. This is good" I said as I removed the rubber band binding all the papers together.

.........

"Salami, Sarah, Amos, Abdulahi, Maryann, Maxwell, Kendrick, David, Sheu, Musa, Ibrahim..." I read out, separating their informations from the bulk.

"They're deceased- their stuff won't be needed for this" I further said.

"Okay- yes" agreed Tobi, nodding his head.

"The traitor cannot be dead...there's no way!
Unless his arrows turned against him...
Or...her" I was now holding Mercy's sheet, she has had weird and consistent contacts with unknown identities since the last past week.

"Mercy? What do you think?" I asked Tobi

"Mercy is quiet and only goes about her business, I doubt she has the time or strength to execute this sort of Genocide" said Tobi

"Quiet?" I asked laughing...

"She's quiet ...maybe because her head is noisy, trying to plan the perfect kill" I said, adding her paper to the bulk of suspects.

We had exhausted a lot of time, we missed chow, but it was worth it... I think. Now, we have a pilled file of a hundred and one suspects, another file for the dead sergeants... two hundred and nine.

"It's all going to be fine, eventually" I said, giving Tobi a light punch on his left shoulder. He was lost in his thoughts, staring into the sky... like he could see Ibrahim from up there.

"Omo mehn, Willow... make I no lie give you. I Dey fear, my body Dey shake when cold no even dey" said Tobi

"Shey me I resemble person way no Dey fear?
Abobi... your mind gats dey- Na war be this.
You need to loosen up soldier!" I responded

"Something in me tells me that the beasts we're making will tear us apart" said Tobi with heavy tears resting its weight on his lower eyelid.

" I understand you brother. I think I feel the same way- only that in my head... we're the already formed beasts; ready to hunt and tear down anything, anyone and everyone who was behind this.
We aren't doing this just for Ibrahim, e get plenty of us way die naa. I understand that we're eagles... trained to take and accept flight at any given time; but not this early, No!

Time to die Dey,
Time to live sef dey,
We are not bad people.
Na why trouble go Dey if anyone attempts to take our lives when we still Dey our "living" era.
Yes! Of cause, this was more than just an attempt" I said

"True talk sha...true talk" said Tobi after sighing.

"Meanwhile, your tribute to Ibrahim had me tearing up today. E choke, you're really good at writing... you should give your talent a chance" commented Tobi

"Yes... thanks" I said smiling.
"Goodnight, we go jam for drills tomorrow" I further said.

FLIGHT OF THE EAGLES.
(WILLOW'S TRIBUTE TO IBRAHIM)

"Hey little birdy; tell me how you'd like to fly"
Those little wings of yours...they were meant to take you high.
You've flown over oceans without pain; and above mountains without guilt...
You've been through everything just to be great.
The only proof of existence is LEGACY;
You can only be sure you've lived once there're prints behind you.
Not all birds understand the concept behind FLIGHT,
Not all birds know the strength behind the WINGS.
The past can never be corrected;
The future is not easily predicted;
The wild fires keep spreading...either ways I hope you win the fights you've told no one about.
"Hey little birdy; tell me how you'd like to fly".
WILLOW AMADI.

CHAPTER END
Tobi has led the search for the traitor. Amazing!
Tobi and Willow are so out for revenge... I didn't expect less; it's BLOOD FOR BLOOD.

Thanks for reading my book, please don't forget to vote, comment and follow me.
Love y'all.
Chapter fourteen seems hard to cook up, I've been waiting for the perfect inspiration for it... but nothing...yet. Like they say; good things come hard😅 either ways, I'll dish out what I've cooked.