Chapter 40: The End

The hum of the motorcycle echoed in the barren wasteland as Zack sped through the rocky terrain, Cloud sitting in the sidecar beside an unconscious Cindy. The towering silhouette of Midgar loomed in the distance, its massive plates and industrial sprawl dark against the dusky sky. They were close—so close to slipping beneath Shinra's radar.

But that hope was short-lived.

As they neared the outskirts of the city, a low rumble began to reverberate through the ground. Zack's eyes narrowed as he glanced toward the horizon, catching the gleam of metal. It wasn't just the occasional Shinra patrol—they were looking at a full military unit.

Helicopters sliced through the air, their searchlights sweeping across the landscape. Tanks rolled over the uneven terrain, and troops moved in formation, their weapons trained in the direction of the fugitives.

Zack's grip tightened on the handlebars. "Damn it, they found us," he muttered, his jaw clenched.

Cloud looked back at the approaching forces, "What do we do?" he asked, his voice steady but tense.

Zack swerved the bike sharply, pulling them behind a large outcrop of rocks to avoid the incoming spotlight. "We fight," he said, his voice low but determined. "We don't have any other choice."

He quickly dismounted, helping Cloud ease Cindy down from the sidecar, laying her gently on the ground, partially hidden by the rock formation. "Stay here with her," Zack ordered, his eyes locking with Cloud's. "I'll hold them off."

"But Zack—"

"Just do it, Cloud!" Zack interrupted, his voice firm. "She needs someone to protect her."

Cloud hesitated but nodded, "Be careful," he muttered, glancing up at Zack.

Zack offered him a quick, reassuring smile. "Always."

With that, Zack stood, his eyes focused on the oncoming soldiers as they closed in. He unsheathed the buster sword, the heavy blade gleaming in the dying light. The sounds of the Shinra military drew nearer—boots pounding against the earth, engines roaring, and the unmistakable click of firearms being readied.

A helicopter hovered above, its spotlight sweeping across the area before zeroing in on them. "There!" A voice barked over a megaphone. "Surrender now, or you will be fired upon!"

Zack smirked, lifting his sword in defiance. "Guess we'll do this the hard way."

The first wave of soldiers rushed in, rifles raised. Zack charged at them with incredible speed, swinging his sword with precision. He deflected bullets with the flat of his blade, knocking down soldiers left and right. With a swift series of slashes, he took down the front line, sending them crashing to the ground.

Cloud stayed behind, watching in awe as Zack fended off the troops. His heart pounded as he tightened his grip on the buster sword, ready to step in if necessary.

More troops poured in, surrounding Zack. Tanks rumbled closer, their cannons aimed at him. Zack darted forward, slicing through the next wave of soldiers, but the numbers were overwhelming. He could feel the weight of the battle pressing down on him.

A shot rang out, and Zack barely managed to sidestep as a missile exploded against the rocks nearby, sending debris flying. He gritted his teeth, realizing this wasn't just a simple skirmish. Shinra had sent everything they had.

Zack fought tirelessly, but exhaustion was creeping in. He glanced back at Cindy, still lying unconscious with Cloud guarding her, and it reignited his determination. He couldn't let them down. Not now.

The ground shook as one of the tanks rolled into position, its cannon aimed directly at Zack. He saw the glint of the barrel, his heart skipping a beat.