Must Love Cats (Werecat)

Hailey looked at her phone again. Her blind date was late, now twenty minutes. She drummed her fingers on the table at the local diner they agreed to meet at. She scanned the dining area for a Green Lantern shirt and jeans. She looked down, making sure her skeletal mermaid shirt from the Ripley' Aquarium could be seen as she was sitting. Finally, a guy wearing a Green Lantern shirt walked in. He seems out of breath as he scanned the dining area. His eyes fell upon Hailey who was sitting up straighter in the booth.

"Arron?" Hailey asked, standing up from the booth. She gave a small smile at him. He did not smile back. He looked at her with slight disgust.

"You are not the girl from the picture Kate showed me." Arron scoffed, opening the message from their mutual friend. He pointed at the picture of Hailey and her older sister Marley. "Where is she?" He pointed at Marley.

"At her house with her husband and toddler." Hailey sighed, crossing her arms. Sure, Marley was known as the pretty sister, but Hailey liked to think she was just as pretty.

"Fucking catfished." Arron cursed, turning away and leaving the diner. Hailey hung her head and went back to the table. She grabbed her purse and placed a twenty under her soda. She left too, for she felt awful.

*

"That asshole. I told him that you were wearing the silver dress." Kate stew over the phone. Hailey knew that she was getting her boyfriend to call and curse out Arron. Hailey let Kate set her up on one date, just one and it got blew to smithereens.

"No big deal, just no more dates with humans." Hailey announced, adjusting her phone as she ate ice cream from the container. She flipped on her TV and went to her favorite comfort show, Cold Case Files.

"You say no more dates with humans. What about with creatures?" Kate asked. Hailey rolled her eyes. Humans and creature or monsters, whatever you call them live together, work together, and some even date. She had gotten to know a few since moving into the city and they are as nice as they can be. She would never want to see an orc or a drider mad though.

"No dating with anything on the face of this earth. I am done with dating." Hailey was final in her decision, pulling the spoon out of her mouth to speak. "And so, we are clear, nothing above or below either."

"I will not let my sweetest friend be a spinster." Kate whine on the phone.

"I will be good with forty cats and living in my housecoat." Hailey wondered, looking out her window. The other day she was tempted to go into the shelter and adopted a cat.

"The crazy cat lady. You may be too far gone." Kate said in a joking tone. "Sweetness, I am sorry about Arron. I'm going to cut his balls off tomorrow."

"You don't have to." Hailey told Kate. If the girl had it her way, she would have a vast collection of testicles in jars. The two said their good nights and Hailey settled in her nest of blankets and pillows. She licked the spoon and wished she would find someone or hell something to keep her company. Maybe a pet would probably be better than a boyfriend.

*

"Oh no! No, no, no! I said no more dates!" Hailey hissed as Kate stood with pleading eyes.

"This is not a date. Peter's best friend from school is coming into town for the weekend and we want to go out as a group. Just friends, eating, drinking, and dancing together. No date." Kate explained, keeping up with Hailey as the two walked down the sidewalk.

"Fine. Group thing. Not date thing." Hailey rolled eyes. Kate gave her a side hug.

"Oh, Devlin is a werecat by the way." Kate smiled, laying her head on Hailey's shoulder.