CHAPTER 7 - CAFE

THEIR FIRST morning as newlyweds has come. Jewel messed up with her husband's kitchen and tried to prepare a decent breakfast with the things she found in her husband's 'beer all you can' refrigerator.

Surprisingly, she found a few loaves of wheat bread, an almost empty jar of oatmeal and three eggs from the fridge.

She poured the egg mixture in the pan and made a scrambled egg. A simple dish, she's expert in making. Thankfully, condiments have existed in his cupboard, or else, they would both be eating plain scrambled, tasteless eggs.

Although, this probably wouldn't be enough for the both of them so she decided that she will need to do some groceries later.

She was placing all the food on the dining table when she heard Phoenix's footsteps coming towards the kitchen.

"Good morning Phoenix." She greeted him as she poured orange juice in the glasses.

Phoenix is already wearing his office suite and is currently busy with his phone. Not particularly paying attention to her.

"Phoenix...hello...I said breakfast." She said waving her hand to his face, trying to make her presence known to him.

He glances at her. "Oh yeah, thanks, but I have an emergency in the office so I can't eat breakfast with you right now." He said and walked with long strides towards the door.

"Wait---." She tried to stop him but he the door's already shot closed.

She sighed and just stared at the food on the table and wondered what she is going to do with them.

Then an idea popped into her head.

'I guess I'll just have you all for myself then.' She thought, and then she took a plastic container and organized the food inside the container so that they wouldn't easily get mixed up. 'What a great way to start their first day as husband and wife.'

Then, she prepares herself to go to the volunteer site where she planned to spend her whole day 'cause she is not letting herself stay inside Phoenix's penthouse all day without doing anything productive.

SHE ARRIVES at the volunteer site where busy people are giving away donated relief goods and packed lunches to the people waiting in line.

Volunteering is a hobby that she decided to do after a certain incident happened in her life. She would go and join different sorts of non-profit organizations just to assist them in lending a helping hand to those who are financially incapable of buying some of the things they needed, in the some of the city's rural areas.

She reached the shed where the volunteer station for the staffs wearing blue shirts is located and greeted the people inside.

"Good morning everyone!" She greets the volunteers inside with enthusiasm.

All of them beamed upon seeing her and greeted her back.

Her hearth swelled and was filled with joy upon seeing how the people are happily assisting in giving the donations to the people in line.

There are eight people with her who were assigned in the site, including her. Four girls and four boys.

Some of them are the main donors but decided to help with the distribution.

"Looks like we got a lot of things to do today." She said. She went to the booth and started assisting in handing out packed lunches to the people in line.

"Yeah, more people came today than we expected. It's a good thing that you decided to volunteer here in New York." Grace Williams, a co-volunteer said as she handed out packed lunches.