CHAPTER 42 - SMILES

PHOENIX DASHED across the hallway towards the direction of Jewel's room. After hearing what his mother just told him, he bolted out of his room, stumbled on his feet and literally ran.

He almost ran out of breath upon reaching Jewel's front door. Panting, he opened the door and was greeted by people crowding around Jewel's bedroom.

There was Doctor Roluf, Aunt Beryl, Uncle Jim, his dad and Grandpa Fred. All of their heads were turned towards him.

But he did not heed any of them and walked with long strides to his wife.

"Oh, hey Phoenix, long time, no s---."

He cuts her by wrapping his arms tightly around her. He buried his head on her neck and tightened his embrace even more.

His heart was pounding so hard inside his chest, filled with so many mixed emotions.

"Phoe-nix...c-can't breathe..." She struggled to say.

He loosened his grasp a little but he didn't completely remove it.

When he was satisfied of the physical contact he had missed, he turned to her and claimed her lips, devouring them hungrily, not caring about the other people inside the room. He just missed her so damn much.

He lets her go and surprise was written in her eyes.

"Oookayyy..." Aunt Beryl spoke, a little awkward, but she was smiling sweetly. "We'll give you two some privacy." She said and urged the others to get out of the room.

When the two of them were alone, at last, Jewel asked him.

"You heard?"

"Mom told me. Is it true?"

"Apparently, according to Doctor Roluf." She chuckled. "And here I was, ready to take the operation."

"Yeah, his timing is really perfect." He said sarcastically. "I'm not saying that I don't want him...it's just that he could've had in a better time...most preferably, after you're all better." He said poking Jewel's stomach very softly then placed his palm over it. A sense of warm satisfaction filled him as he imagined their child inside his wife. "He probably doesn't want you to take the operation yet."

"He?"

"Just a hunch." He shrugged. "After mom said that, a baby boy suddenly flashed my mind."

Jewel smiled. "Technically, doctor Roluf said that he's been there for three months already. That's why I told you to always use protection, didn't I?"

He chuckled, remembering the time that he would intentionally forget to wear protection even though she already told him she doesn't want to have a kid. Yeah, he's that selfish and stubborn.

He never thought that the reason why she doesn't want to have a kid with him was this deep. He thought that she doesn't want to have one with him. He felt a little guilty all of a sudden...but he couldn't hide the fact that he was happy having a kid with Jewel. That he's going to be a father.

"Actually, I'm still scared of you having that operation...but it's my only hope of spending the rest of my life with you." He said. "I'm still researching for other ways that wouldn't lead you risking your life...but I still couldn't. They're all saying the same thing...I'm sorry."

Jewel gently patted his cheeks, soothing him. Her touch really calms him down.

He sits on the empty space on the side of her bed.

"Phoenix, are you still mad at me for not telling you about this?"

He sighed and took her hand to his to play with her wedding bond. "To be honest...yeah, I was a little mad... But I was more mad and disappointed at myself for being too closed minded." He said and immediately shook those thoughts.