CHAPTER 8 - CHARLES

PHOENIX SIGHED as he was finally able to finish the conversation he had with his secretary about the small problem inside his company. It seems like there are some people who wants him out of his position. It's a good thing that Richard is capable of handling things on his own. His triple pay to him was always worth it.

He puts his phone away in his pocket and pushed the glass doors of the café making the ring hanging on the frame, ring.

He searched for the table he told Jewel to stay. Then he remembered that he forgot to mention that his best friend is going to join them. He hoped that that woman didn't get lost.

When he reached the reserved table, his forehead knotted in confusion seeing Charles and Jewel laughing together. And for some unfathomable reason, his insides boiled when he saw how much the two enjoyed each other's company.

Then all of a sudden, his eyes met his wife's laughing expression. Unconsciously, his mind traveled to the memories that he deeply stored in his mind. Back to the memories of how much he liked seeing her smile when he was still an innocent kid, before he started hating her.

Her laughter never changed. Still childish, carefree and no finesse at all, but it was enjoyable to watch. That's probably why Charles is laughing so much along with her.

A waiter walked pass him that made him return to his senses. He mentally shakes his head when he thought of the things he was just remembering. He should never have thought of that. It's been so long since he decided to bury them in the deepest corner of his mind.

He cleared his throat to call for their attention.

The two stopped laughing and turned to him. "Phoenix." Charles greets him and gives him a brotherly hug. "What took you so long man? Oh right, how did you know my childhood bestfriend?" Charles asked.

Childhood bestfriend? He thought that he was her only childhood bestfriend? 'Wait...why would I even care about that?'

"What did you mean by childhood bestfriend?"

"Jewel and I...we were bestfriends since elementary...well, technically until high school, but we stopped seeing each other when my parents decided that I should continue my studies in Europe." He said while looking at Jewel.

The frown on Phoenix's forehead deepened. He caught the way his best friend looks at his wife and he didn't like it.

"Well, Jewel is my wife." He said in a monotone and sits beside her. Charles was sitted in front of them.

He looks at Charles and he wanted to laugh at the astounded expression of his friend. His previous grin turned all the way upside down.

"What do you mean wife? Jewel, you're married to him?"

"Kinda." Jewel said in an awkward tone and gritted teeth.

"What the--- When—why---h-how...?"

"Uhm... just last night. It's kind of a long story. But to make it short, Grandpa Fred made us do it. Quite unexpected for us too, actually." She explains.

"Grandpa Fred, really? Is that why you left New Jersey to come here? Because Grandpa Fred tricked you?"

"Hey! He didn't trick me..." Jewel said. "Uhh...well...yeah, I think I got tricked a bit... but just a little bit. I'm sure that Grandpa just misses me...I was also planning for a vacation when Granpa called...so I think that Grandpa's call was in timing."

"Yeah right...you're always cool with that old man." He said and drank his coffee. "But are you sure about that? Getting married overnight, especially with someone you just met is not something without reason. I'm sure that there is a deeper explanation on why you married a stranger."