CHAPTER 27 - IRIS

PHOENIX ENTERED his biometrics to his unit and opened the door. He entered his pad and loosened his necktie to release a breath of exhaustion because of the consecutive overtime he had.

He's thankful that it's finally over.

He walked towards the living room and he was paused on his tracks upon seeing his wife sleeping soundly on the couch, facing his seventy-five inches flat screen TV. It was playing Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

'She probably did another movie marathon.'

He checked the time on his watch and saw that it was already pass eleven in the evening.

He goes to Jewel and leaned on to her sleeping figure. His heart skipped a beat as he caressed her face with his hand. It was only when she is asleep where he could be this affectionate and intimate with her because he is afraid that she might take a hint if he's doing these while she is conscious.

His wife is quite an observer...but also really dense.

And just like the other nights, he lifts her from the couch and carried her like a princess in his arms, as stealthy as possible in order not to wake her up, towards their bedroom upstairs.

He warily deposited her on the bed then he went to his walk-in closet to change his clothes into a gray t-shirt and white sweatpants.

Then he joins Jewel on the bed and covers the both of them with the blanket.

He was in the middle of covering their bodies when Jewel suddenly shifts her position and turned to face him.

She slowly opened her drowsy eyes and smiles at him.

"Oh...You're home...Welcome home Phoenix." She said in her very sleepy voice.

A smile formed on his lips. "I'm home." He whispers. He wanted to cuddle her already, but he could not do that when she's awake. "Go back to sleep."

She slowly closed her eyes, but then, she suddenly mumbled. "You know... *Yawns* I had a really weird dream just now."

"Really? What dream?"

"It was unbelievable. It was actually about you, but you were a boy." She continues while her eyes were still closed. "And you actually confessed there that you love me..." She laughed a little. "Funny right?"

"Really?"

"Hmmm." She yawned once again. "It's a good thing that it's just a dream." She sighed in relief.

He frowned. "Why Jewel...Don't you want that to happen in real life?"

Jewel's forehead creased and she slightly shook her head. "You can't...fall in love with... me Phoenix..." She mumbled again.

"Why Jewel?" 'Why can't I fall in love with you? Why won't you let me? Why did you add that stupid condition in that damn contract?'

His insides are desperate to know why.

"Just please...don't. Promise me...that...you won't..." She said softly as sleep finally consumed her and she was making soft breathings.

Phoenix clenched his teeth in frustration.

He leaned himself closer and pressed his forehead against hers.

"I'm sorry Jewel...But I've already broken that promise a long time ago." He said and stole another kiss from her lips. Just like what he always do every night.

JEWEL WAS frowning and pouting as she lazily watched the drops of water pour from the small watering can unto the only plant inside Phoenix's pad which is a small rectangular pot of magic roses, placed on the balustrade of his balcony.