Chapter 4

Today is the ball as to which Carter is hosting not only to introduce the Sorceress, Sapphire. But to introduce his bride-to-be as if she were a prized possession. It feels weird. Sapphire thinks to herself. I am getting married. I will be bound to Carter. And I can't shake the feeling of hating him. Sapphire was in a tight-fitted bodice dress that had a padded undergarment. This undergarment is used to add fullness and support the drapery of the back of the dress. The gown has a layer of silky emerald fabric and above that is a silver thorn lace pattern that has signature roses. The roses are made out of stone and make the dress feel heavier. The sleeves go off on the sides and are tethered together by silver bracelets with emerald stone roses. Her shoes are silver with emerald ribbons. At this moment she feels sick of the silver and emerald colors. Yet, Sapphire knows she will have to get used to it- not only the colors but extravagant looks. She wishes nothing more than a day of simplicity. "Maybe I should ask Carter for a simple-look day." Sapphire giggles, nervously. The dress is extravagant but the heaviness wears down how well the dress looks. Though, nobody but Sapphire and her maidens will know how truly heavy it is all put together. "I doubt his majesty will agree," Skyler says. Claire and Skyler pin Sapphire's hair up, leaving some stragglers to frame her face with silver thorn pins. They didn't curl Sapphire's hair this time and left it its normal, natural straight with a little wavy self. "You look absolutely adoring," Skyler adds, clapping her hands together in excitement. Then for the final touch, Claire brings the ring box over to Sapphire. Claire looks into Sapphire's eyes. "Only if you are ready." She says this with hesitation.

Sapphire inhales deeply and then nods. She feels like she could break down in tears at any moment. "I don't think that he would be thrilled with me if I didn't raise eyebrows. It seems I need to display in the right showcase." The words hit hard on her ladies. Skyler opened the box in Claire's hand. She then traces the ring on Sapphire's finger.

Claire snaps the box shut. "People would probably pay more attention to the dress."

"Honestly, their eyes may not look below her chest," Skyler says, turning Sapphire to look at the mirror.

"My goodness, I don't think they would." Sapphire giggled a little but then went back to being nervous and saddened. "But Carter would." Her voice when she said his name almost sounded as if she was broken.

Sapphire just stares at the ring. I felt so lost. "Thank you."

"Sapphire?" Claire asks so sweetly and innocently.

"Yes?"

"It's out of my jurisdiction. And we do not know each other well. But you doing this marriage for the Guardians is huge. But marriage is binding and I don't want you stuck in something unfair or unloving."

"Thank you, Claire," Sapphire says as a tear strolls down her face. "I doubt with my status now, I have many choices." Sapphire was right, there could be worse people out there who want the boost of Sapphire's status. She knew she was weak in some places. Her vulnerability was mainly for her family. And given the circumstances, she'd give her life if it meant that it would protect them.

"We have to fix her makeup, the Guards will be escorting her shortly." Skyler pitches in once she sees the tear streaming down Sapphire's cheek. They fix her up a little bit.

A moment later, a man walks in. "Hello, my name is Grayson van Riemsdijk. You can call me Grayson. I am the Witch of Ice, with a set of enchanted daggers made from the Original Sorceress. So, it is my honor to escort you." He bows to Sapphire. Grayson has caramel-blonde hair that is long and straight, hazel eyes, and a warm tone of ivory skin. He's wearing a ruffled white shirt with strings that tie the top together. His shirt is tucked into black and royal blue print pants. "Sorry, I thought it was too warm to wear my jacket. I can go get it now if it bothers you."