Chapter 13

Sapphire felt overwhelmed at the ball. So many faces that she doesn't know. So many people admired her beauty. So much... Too much. Grayson was whisked away by the King. Sapphire slipped away somehow to the courtyard. Some fresh air. She thinks.

"Are you not into parties?" A voice asked, startling Sapphire. "Sorry, did I scare you?" His voice had a tint of British.

"No, I am not much for parties," Sapphire says with her arms crossed.

"You are very beautiful, where is your escort?" The man was seemingly closer to Sapphire.

"You need to step away," Sapphire says.

"Boys!" The man calls in a full British accent and surrounds Sapphire. "A woman is telling me what to do."

Sapphire turns for the door, but they block her way. Even if I knew how to use my powers, I wouldn't be able to use them here. Sapphire turns back to the first man. "What are you doing?"

The man got close to Sapphire and she shuddered to his touch. He twirled her hair and moved his hand down her neck. "Kiss me." He demands.

"No." Sapphire gritted through her teeth.

One of the other men shouted. "Rip her clothes off!"

Another man shouted. "I want to see how perfect she truly is!"

The first man shushed them. "Quiet! Someone might hear us." The man pulled out his sword and started to split Sapphire's bodice.

"Please," Sapphire whined. "Don't."

"Shhh." He got up in her face and pointed the sword at her neck. "You don't want to make any noise." The man throws the sword to the ground and turns to Sapphire. He grasps the cloth of her bodice with both hands and starts tearing the thread further apart. "You are so fucking-" The man was silenced with his head spinning off. As the body dropped, Sapphire looked up to see Captain Smith.

"I found the perpetrators!" Captain Smith yelled as a few other soldiers came in and started fighting the other men. Captain Smith gently approached Sapphire and she started trembling. I am so useless. She thinks. Sapphire collapses to the ground. "May I put my coat over you? Your dress is torn." Captain Smith says as he crouches down but at a distance. Sapphire nods. Captain Smith puts his Captain coat over Sapphire's shoulders and immediately steps away.

"Captain Smith! They are all eliminated, sir." A soldier salutes.

"Very well, thank you. Please keep Miss Evans' encounter a secret." Captain Smith studies Sapphire's face for a moment while she avoids eye contact. He sighs. Captain Smith stands up, brushing his pants off. "To protect her and her virtue. It didn't go that far from what I can tell. These men make me sick."

***

Captain Smith was careful and guarding Sapphire. He ordered a few of his men to discreetly get Duke Schumacher and Captain Van Riemsdijk. Grayson got in the same carriage as Sapphire. He was cautious after Captain Smith told him what happened. Liam in the other carriage was disgusted and angry. Why would I allow her to be unattended? He thought, constantly blaming himself on the ride.

"Sapphire?" Grayson asks, almost as if he was whispering. She just adjusted her view from the window to Grayson. "I know this may be a stupid question. But are you alright?" She shrugged and looked out the window. "Sapphire..." He sighs and gives up. After a while of silence, the carriage was stopped abruptly, followed by a man screaming. "Stay here," Grayson says quietly as he positions himself to stay alert. He peeks out and readies his daggers. "Wraith." He whispers. Sapphire then hears the clanging of chains. Followed by footsteps that sounded heavy, yet echoing through the forest. Sapphire peaks through the glass to see a man swaying from side to side. The Wraith was covered in wrappings, almost as if mummified. Bright yellow eyes. And a blank stare. Blood dripped from its mouth and she saw a glimpse of the pointed teeth. This image frightened her. The Wraith's feet were bare and encased with blood. I think I am gonna be sick. She thought. Liam leaps from the carriage behind, slicing the Wraith's head off. It screamed a horrid, dull scream. "Are you two okay?" Liam asks.