Chapter 17

After the attack, they buried Skyler. When Sapphire was packing her tent, she looked at her pendant from her family. She then grabbed the locket lying beside her. Kneeling at her suitcase, she held the locket close. "I didn't know you very well," Sapphire says. "But I am relieved that you weren't actually an enemy." Sapphire sighs. "Why did you give me this?" Then everyone took off on a carriage ride for a few hours. They stopped at an inn. Before getting out of the carriage, Sapphire had a flashback.

***

The Sorceress appeared after Sapphire asked to be alone with Skyler. "Sorceress, what are you doing here?"

"That locket is very precious. It not only has Skyler's memories. But her soul. Her entitled embodiment. Skyler gave you the locket to lend you her strength." The Sorceress calls forth the Skyler's Purple Flame Longsword. "Just like the Flame Spear, you can restore life with this longsword."

"I don't know if I want that kind of power again-"

The Sorceress holds up a hand. "Naturally, you most likely already do." Before Sapphire could ask a question or anything, the Sorceress disappeared.

***

I cannot stop thinking. Thinking of Carter and this damn binding. Thinking of what Claire- Elanore- now Elena told me. She seems distant and I try not to be distant myself. Because she is my friend. And I love our friendship. It's been a few weeks since Sorceress- Mother gave me the longsword. Everything feels so much. But I have to get used to it. I have to not be so thrown off by the next thing that gets thrown at me. But as for now, I am focusing on traveling. We made a stop before we headed into the Elven world.

~ Sapphire Evans

Sapphire leaned back in the chair and sighed. Sapphire looked around the rustic room. She hardly got to admire its beauty once they arrived. She was so tired and fell asleep right away. A knock appeared on the door.

Sapphire got up and walked towards the door. Grayson stood at the doorway with a tray of food and flowers. "I got you some breakfast. I was hoping you would be awake."

"Thank you, how sweet." She gestures for him to come in. After he passes her, Sapphire shuts the door.

"I have some fruits for you. That was all I could find. And some flowers." He takes the bouquet of flowers and holds them in front of Sapphire.

"Thank you." She smiles and takes the flowers.

Grayson pulls Sapphire into a kiss. She wraps her arms around his neck. After a few moments of feeling butterflies in her stomach, Sapphire didn't want the moment to end. But Grayson had let the moment end. "I should let you eat. We have a long ride again." He looked over to Sapphire, she looked nauseous. "I am sorry- there is so much riding. I know you do not like it."

"It's part of the journey." Sapphire shrugs.

***

I have been trying to grasp my mind and remind myself... how did Sapphire do it? How am I alive? I remember wondering about that day in the afterlife. I saw her parents- Well, the ones who had raised her. Anyways, I learned so much. I remember talking to Benjamin Evans as I felt a tug and got whisked away. I saw and heard Sapphire speaking to me. But I cannot recall her... Did she use any magic? Has she truly grasped her magic? She hasn't used it very much. To be honest, none of us have. I think we hide away and practice so we don't get rusty- but we don't want to tire ourselves out. We are slowly building up for the war. To be honest, I haven't seen many spirits or monsters- Now that... that is on my mind. But Benjamin had told me that the monsters hardly make an effect anymore. That the Witches who have been recently deployed have been studying the life of Humans. Why, though? Wait. Is it to invade the Humans and create some sort of high standard for Carter? Maybe he saved the Humans and Witches aren't to be feared anymore? To be honest, I know a lot more than Sapphire does and I am still so confused. Moving along, I am nervous to see the Elves. I have been away for so long. Had they replaced me? And have my friends and people forgotten me? I need to not worry myself. But I thought I moved on from that part of my life... Even though I was taken from it. I miss it to be honest. And I want to be back.