Chapter 8

A long night passed. Sapphire could hardly sleep. She looked at her arm. The bracelet stained her arm with blood and horror. "It wasn't a dream." She cried to herself. After a few moments, she sat up and wiped her tears. "I can't marry him." She whispers. "But how do I get rid of this..." She trailed off. "True love?" She laughed then the image of Grayson popped up. "No luxury for romance."

A knock on the door appeared, followed by the door creaking. "Are you awake?" Claire asked before peeping her head in.

"Yes," Sapphire says. She looks down at the bed and clenches the sheets in her hands.

"My lady..." Claire observes Sapphire. "Your wrist is bleeding!"

"It's this stupid bracelet."

"The bracelet?" Claire takes a closer look and rushes to grab some clothes. Claire comes back with a bowl and cloth. She takes a seat at the edge of the bed.

"Carter tricked me." Sapphire pulls her knees to her face and buries her face. "I don't want to marry him but have no choice."

Claire takes Sapphire's wrist and gently touches the cloth to the skin. "What do you mean?"

"Carter- He controls my powers with this bracelet. I tried to call Assassin last night and he dismissed her."

Claire's eyes widened. "That magic..."

"You have something to say, don't you?"

"That magic is an ancient spell. The Guardians used them to enslave Elves. Until Elves were freed by true love... Elves actually have interesting portions of magic."

"What do you mean by portions of magic?"

"Carter's ability to manipulate fire and exceed it to his spear is honestly outstanding. I know the spear was created by the Sorceress. The weapons are not directed at Elve- The Sorceress was Elven. So the magical weapons are more responsive to Elven Bloodlines. Carter actually manipulated magic to get one of the weapons to accept him since he wasn't truly strong enough."

"Best get ready," Carter says, knocking on the door. Carter creeks the door open. "The dress is out here." He says as he walks away. Claire looks at Sapphire. "I'm sorry." She whispers. Claire then gets the dress and brings the dress to Sapphire. A pale white fluffed ball gown. Claire turned it and it had an open back, a white laced thorn pattern back.

"It's beautiful," Claire says. Sapphire gets up and touches the fabric.

"It is." She says, upsettingly.

Claire slowly looks down and thinks of how she wishes Sapphire to be happy. "Let us get ready," Claire says.

As Claire was getting Sapphire ready, Sapphire felt a little off. Skyler is missing. "Skyler," Sapphire says, startling herself. "Where is Skyler?"

Claire drops the hairbrush, hands shaking. "S-S-She... uhh..." Claire says nervously as she picks up the brush.

Sapphire picks up the bottom of her dress and turns around. "What is the matter?"

Claire clears her throat. "I don't want to- It's your special day."

"Honestly, nothing special about today."

Claire tilts her head and focuses her eyes on Sapphire. "Sapphire-"

"Claire, just tell me!" Sapphire snaps.

"Okay." She puts the brush down and wipes her hands on her dress. Her palms started to sweat. "Apparently..." She inhales. "Skyler..." She exhales deeply. "Skyler worked with McKenzie. And she got away."