Chapter 30

Sapphire snuck past the guards and hid her presence from the Light Elven guards. She acted as though she had a plan but she didn't. Through her journey back to the Light Elven Kingdom, Sapphire did a lot of thinking. I feel as though Godwin has some sort of answer for me- But what is my question? Anyways, it feels wrong to have him locked up. Godwin Bennett woke up sweating from a dream of his as Sapphire approached his cell. A piece of him wanted to kill her but another piece felt it should save her. His eyes looked really confused and Sapphire could tell.

"I am not here to hurt you." She whispered. He nodded and sat upright. Godwin covered his face with his hands, peeking his eye out between some fingers to look at Sapphire. "I don't know what I am here for," Sapphire confessed. "But I believe you have some sort of..." She trailed looking for a word... Any word. Sapphire spit whatever it is out. She thought. But what is that whatever? She sighed and whispered. "How have they been treating you?" Godwin was taken aback by this question.

After a moment, he whispered: "Upon your orders, they haven't threatened me unfairly." He lowered his hands to his knees. "Even though I am a prisoner, you didn't want me to feel like one."

"In no means I want you to feel like one."

"Why?"

"I had a dream once. And I sought you to be a truly understanding person."

"What do you mean?"

Sapphire took a moment to think and grasped the bars as she stood up. "I really wish I knew."

Someone came charging through the hallway. It was Elena. "Why didn't you let us know you were here?"

Sapphire looked at the ground. "I didn't want to face you or anyone else yet- After what-" Her voice croaked and a tear strolled down her face. Sapphire looked at her hands and imagined them covered in blood. Grayson. She thought.

"After what?" Elena asks, concerned.

"It's my fault Grayson is dead."

Elena's face drops. "We know that the darkness tried to consume you."

"You do? How?"

"We had a mission to scavenge the ruins of the Dark Guild mansion. And we found Grayson. He's not dead. But he is in a coma." A pit grew in Sapphire's stomach. "It's not your-"

"Don't you dare say it?" Sapphire's voice became stern with a cold touch. "Don't say it's not my fault. Because it is. I cannot control it-" Sapphire turned to Godwin. "I will need something from you after all." The whole room felt like it was spinning and adrenaline kicked in. "You need to kill me."

Elena's eyes widened. "No!"

Sapphire turned to Elena. "I know I am the balance between light and dark- We wouldn't fully understand what were to happen to my magic if I were to die but there must be something to contain the magic. Something more stronger as its vessel- Maybe some sort of crystal link spell."

"Even if you were to do a crystal transfer, it would not work. Your power would destroy the crystal, and ascend chaos between the balances." Liam says as he walks in the hallway. "There is no escaping who you are."

"I don't want to cause any harm." Sapphire looks into Liam's eyes and studies his calm face. "I can't do this."

"And what do you propose this is?"

"Life..." Sapphire felt dazed and then awoken by a burning sensation on her cheek.

"How dare you," Elena says. "How dare you claim about life but be careless about your own?" Her voice sounded disgusted. "How dare you."