Chapter 9

Sapphire stares in horror. Why is he chained? What is Grayson doing here? Why does Carter want to show me this? I can't keep looking... Is Carter really smiling? "He tried to take you from me," Carter says as he nods to one of the guards. The guard opens the cell door. At that moment, Carter forms a ball of fire in his palm.

"Please- No!" Sapphire yelled, releasing a blast wave. The wave knocked down the guard. Carter turns around.

"Dear, you need to control yourself." He says so composed yet his eye twitched. He sighs. "Why don't we go home?" Carter then forms a smile. "It's a waste to think of Grayson when he tried to separate us." Something in Sapphire's stomach clenched, but she wanted to find a way to protect Grayson. "We are bonded now, so there is no separating."

Carter walks up to Sapphire as he defuses the flame in his hands. "Do you want to get even closer?"

Sapphire takes a small gulp. "We have to learn to love each other."

Sapphire, you do not need to do this. Grayson thinks but he is too weak to say anything or move.

***

Carter and Sapphire head back to the house. As Carter shuts the door, Sapphire shutters. He turns to her and embraces her in a kiss. It felt so wrong to Sapphire. Something in her stomach clenched and her heart ached. But she felt if Carter sensed her resentment, he'd hurt her. So she kissed back. Carter put his hands around the back of her neck, bringing her closer. Carter pulls back and looks into Sapphire's eyes. "This is a good start." He whispers. Then someone came barging in through the back door. "Sir Carter!" A man with light brown, straight hair, blue eyes, and an ivory skin tone stood in a stance. He was catching the wind in his breath.

"Mr. Schumacher." Carter sighs. "What brings you here?"

"Grayson van Riemsdijk." Schumacher says.

"What about him?"

"He has escaped." Carter brushes past Sapphire, grabbing Schumacher's arm.

"Liam. Let us go back to the Temple." Carter says. They rush off and Sapphire lets a small smile.

After a moment, the Assassin appears. "Are you sure that was wise?"

"I had a feeling of something terrible happening to him." Sapphire walks to the window near the door. She peeks through. "I couldn't let him stay there."

"You are lucky that Carter didn't-"

"What is he going to do? Read my mind?" Sapphire turns to Assassin.

***

Sapphire stood there, feeling uneasy. Carter was headed to Grayson with a fireball in his hands. "Assassin, may I ask you something? I know it's a long shot that you can hear me calling you in my head." Sapphire asks, inside her head.

"I am here." The Assassin's voice rang in Sapphire's ear.

"Can you help Grayson escape, please? I will distract Carter and leave soon." Sapphire says inside her head. "Please. There's no time."

"I will." The Assassin says.

Sapphire nods and then takes a step forward. "Why don't we go home? It's a waste to think of Grayson when he tried to separate us." She says aloud, to Carter.

***

Assassin steps towards Sapphire. "Still, a dangerous game. He has a hold on you." She turns Sapphire around and grabs her wrist. She holds Sapphire's wrist to show her the bracelet that holds her.

"It is up to me to break it, I know." Sapphire releases herself from Assassin's grip. "Assassin, what is your true name? The books never say."

"I..." Assassin lifts her hood up on her cloak. "I don't remember anymore."